local sea anglers

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Leontarr72
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Ardeer Quarry LNR Public Consultation

Post by Leontarr72 »

Hi guys I'm new to fishing in Stevenston and was just wondering if there was any fish in the ashgrove loch up next to ardeer good course up the top end?

I would appreciate if anyone could help me please.
Last edited by Hughie on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from - Ardeer Quarry LNR Public Consultation
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: local sea anglers

Post by chriso »

I don't ever remember seeing anyone fishing there, as it is quite difficult to get near the open water.
There is quite a bit of floating turf there as well.
Maybe little plum would know as he is our resident angling expert.
Idiot - seeks village.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I can recall information passed on to me from two locally respected elderly gentleman of fish in the Stevenston burn/ waterways. The oldest told me of a time when salmon ran the burn, the other talked about catching trout from the burn at the bottom of his garden. This would suggest that the system has the potential to support freshwater fish, but as chriso states, the loch has been reduced in surface area and the potential for access to spawning areas for fish to reproduce has been restricted due to the overgrown vegetation . A word of warning, if you decide to try and negotiate the vegetation at the loch, the floating turf is extremely dangerous, I thought I was going to loose my English Springer in one of the holes while pursuing one of my other interests at that time. You would be safer digging some lug worms down Stevenston shore and fishing for flounders or whatever, the last time I was out with my youngest son we had 3 flounders and a very small cod, he beat me 2 - 1 :evil:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Leontarr72
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Leontarr72 »

Okay thanks very much I think I will just stick to going down to the rec and going down the shore
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

A nice wee fish from the " hole in the wall" Saltcoats

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Would it be a giant eel?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Could be a Conger Eel - Saltcoats tidal pool had a few of them. Watched folks fish for them off the steps where the Pilot Station used to be near Ardrossan Lighthouse. That wasn't yesterday!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

down south wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:21 pm I've just come across one more sea angling picture, and here it is: it shows James Moriarty of Saltcoats with his prize catch of a 30lb conger eel, around 1972.

James Moriarty.jpg

PS We now have another picture of local sea anglers which I'd totally overlooked, of the winners in the angling contest held as part of Ardrossan Civic Week 1972: see here.

Susan
You know I loved sea angling from the Stevenston slip with your tinnies, especially fishing for cod in the winter nights when only the hardy guys were there. Guys like Jim Foster who caught more than his fare share and was also a great caster and a man proficient at catching sea trout in the Garnock with the fly and the maggot at night in the summer. It is ethical to eat your catch or give fish away. I knew guys who fished for conger and just left them lying gasping out their last breath. They make good eating as does dog fish and I can remember Saltcoats harbour full of decomposing dog fish and other fish that were of shark like appearance discarded I suppose from boats after fishing trips. I hate that behaviour and maybe it wouldn't happen to-day. One reason it wouldn't happen to-day is that there are few fish in the Clyde.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

little plum wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:38 am I can recall information passed on to me from two locally respected elderly gentleman of fish in the Stevenston burn/ waterways. The oldest told me of a time when salmon ran the burn, the other talked about catching trout from the burn at the bottom of his garden. This would suggest that the system has the potential to support freshwater fish, but as chriso states, the loch has been reduced in surface area and the potential for access to spawning areas for fish to reproduce has been restricted due to the overgrown vegetation . A word of warning, if you decide to try and negotiate the vegetation at the loch, the floating turf is extremely dangerous, I thought I was going to loose my English Springer in one of the holes while pursuing one of my other interests at that time. You would be safer digging some lug worms down Stevenston shore and fishing for flounders or whatever, the last time I was out with my youngest son we had 3 flounders and a very small cod, he beat me 2 - 1 :evil:
Staney Dorans told me that someone got a ten pound salmon at the mill dam in the sixties.