Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Jackie Thomson - Winton Rovers tribute

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
October 31, 1952

Many fine tributes were paid to Jackie Thomson, Winton Rovers' longest serving player, at a gathering in the town hall, Ardrossan, last Friday night. The occasion was a dance run by the Winton Rovers Supporters' Club in the course of which a presentation of two cheques was made to the player by the supporters' chairman, Mr William Frew.

"It gives me great pleasure to have the opportunity of handing over these cheques to Jackie Thomson as a gift from the public of Ardrossan," said Mr Frew. "All who know Jackie respect him tremendously," he added.

In a brief reply the player thanked the club and supporters for the fine way he had been treated since he came to Winton Park. Perhaps the greatest tribute paid to the player was by Winton Rovers' secretary, Mr James Cance who, at a dinner following the presentation, expressed the hope that when Jackie's playing days were over he would continue to assist the club in other ways.

"It has been my experience that I have never come across a player who is so easy to deal with as Jackie," said Mr Cance. "The only trouble I ever had with him was when I asked him to be captain of the team. "We hope to have Jackie with us as a player for some time yet, but when the day comes for him to stop playing I hope he will continue to help the club by finding young players for us and in other ways." Mr Cance concluded by wishing Jackie the very best for the future.

Others who paid tribute to the player were fellow player Willie Smith, Mr Charles Boden, treasurer of the football club, Mr John Hazelton, supporters' secretary and Mr A. Fullerton, vice-president of the football club. An apology for absence was tendered on behalf of the football club president, Mr William Taylor.

Acknowledging "the many nice things said about me here tonight," the guest of honour said that a contented player was always easy to deal with. He thanked the club and supporters for the fine testimonial accorded to him. Great Honour "I believe I am the first player to receive such a testimonial and I feel it a great honour. In conclusion, Jackie said that he did not expect to give up the game yet. He would continue playing so long as work permitted and he would be very pleased when he did finish with the active football to take part in helping the club in other ways.