Fernando Ricksen has passed away

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Fernando Ricksen has passed away

Post by creamolafoam »

For anybody that doesn’t know, Fernando, a former league winner with Rangers, had been suffering from motor neurone disease these last few yrs but sadly succumbed to his illness this morning. He was 43.
RIP Fernando
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Fernando Ricksen has passed away

Post by brian f »

Yes so sad, he was far too young . It's also touching to see the Celtic fans paying respect. Just makes the world a better place.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yet another young athlete dies with MND. As I mentioned on June 8 on McBlethers - A real legend- when Neale Daniher passed away, I'm convinced there is something in the soil that is poisoning these football and rugby players. It's too much of a coincidence.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

glenshena wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:20 pm Yet another young athlete dies with MND. As I mentioned on June 8 on McBlethers - A real legend- when Neale Daniher passed away, I'm convinced there is something in the soil that is poisoning these football and rugby players. It's too much of a coincidence.
Glenshena, Neale Daniher has not passed away. He is fighting a mighty battle and raising millions for this insidious disease.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Glensheena never thought about the soil. Only ever wondered when both football and rugby players knocked their heads together or when one headed the ball whether it caused something in the brain to get damaged. Similar to some people getting seizures/epilepsy.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Here's an interesting piece on mnd and sports people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/201 ... r-neurone/
Those wimin were in the nip.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Very interesting Bonzo. Thank you.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Thanks Ian for this important information. I read that Nick Cole of the MND Association says it is a combination of genetical and enviromental factors, although it is more likely in people with very regular sport activity. Incredible that practicing sport can damage your health. Margb, you are right, athletes who bump their heads together have been known to suffer brain damage, or like boxer Mohammed Ali who suffered Parkinsons for years, but MND seems to be more of a footballers illness. That's why I thought it may be something to do with the soil.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

The renowned scientist and physicist, Dr. Stephen Hawking, died of MND.
I think it safe to say that he never set foot on any sports ground or suffered any kind of brain damage from a sports injury. Any brain damage he might have suffered would have come from over-use.
Be very careful about drawing conclusions from limited evidence.

JD.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Lost two friends to mND and neither played sport. I think it is linked to genetics.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Was just about to say that Netta i had a friend who also died with with and never did any sport. I think it is genetic ..
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

glenshena wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33 pm Thanks Ian for this important information. I read that Nick Cole of the MND Association says it is a combination of genetical and enviromental factors, although it is more likely in people with very regular sport activity. Incredible that practicing sport can damage your health. Margb, you are right, athletes who bump their heads together have been known to suffer brain damage, or like boxer Mohammed Ali who suffered Parkinsons for years, but MND seems to be more of a footballers illness. That's why I thought it may be something to do with the soil.
In our local paper today there Is an article on SLA amongst footballers. A suggestion that football fields that are near untreated water, be It a River or a lake, are known to have the highest Number of SLA casualties, due to spraying the ground with untreated water. Como football team having the most deaths in Italy over the years being near a lake. Also teams around Genova have a High Number of SLA cases. And Fiorentina near the River Arno has already four SLA deaths. It has also been recognised amongst workers in agricultural camps where the ground Is sprayed regularly with untreated water with pesticides, fungicides, solvents and heavy metals. Football fields are usually sprayed too between half times.
In a scientific research in New England recently in a range of two Miles of water sports SLA was collegated to people sailing, rowing,
Kayaking and water skiing.
Perhaps we have found the answer to this terribile disease.