Snooker

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Snooker

Post by michaelm »

Hughie wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 am
michaelm wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm The old Ardeer Rec Club in Stevenston also had at least a couple as that's where some of us initially started playing the game.
Yes, remember getting signed in and going upstairs where they had coin in the slot billiard tables - the table's lights came on when the money was deposited - can't recall what time was allotted.
When I played snooker in the Rec - round about 1984ish - I had what was known as an 'Associate Membership'
I wasn't an ICI employee but paid a moderate annual fee to enable me to enjoy certain benefits, including entering competitions and signing myself in.

The tables were also coin operated then re. switching on the lights and If memory serves me right it cost 50p for round about 25/30 minutes.
Mind you, I seem to remember one or two bent pieces of coat hangers or the like being used to trip the levers. :lol:
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I played a lot at Benaldies in the late 50's early 60's. We met there after the pictures on a Saturday and on a Sunday evening. As Hughie says you got to it from an alley down the side of the cafe then up the stairs where there were 3 tables. There was an internal stair down to another 3 tables. Upstairs table 2 was reserved for billiards which I preferred - mainly because I was not very good at potting. At Glasgow University the whole of the top floor of the students union was a snooker hall with at least 8 and possibly 12 tables (memory uncertain).
I have not played for years but my brother still plays at the conservative club in Ardrossan. I think he has won the club championship several times.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Wish now that I'd played billiards regularly Retsum, as I'm sure it would have helped to improve my all round snooker game.

Also reckon most if not all of the top level snooker players - either past or present - will include a certain amount of 'billiards time' in their practice routine's.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
November 15, 1946

New Billiard Saloon in Saltcoats

On Saturday last Mr Jimmy McKnight, formerly proprietor of the Saracen Billiard Room near the Osborne Hotel, opened up a new saloon in Saltcoats. The site is the former British Restaurant in Canal Street.

The new billiard room has seven tables and Mr McKnight is hoping to get some professionals down in the near future to put on a special show to mark the opening of the new venture.

Meanwhile, everything is there for the Local tyro and expert to get down to it and increase their skill at Billiards and snooker. It has been possible to open the new saloon sooner than was anticipated and the equipment is all in first class order.
Hughie wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:40 pm I remember playing in the Canal Street snooker hall in the mid fifties - I think it was a car repair place the last time I past it a few years ago. Around 1960 I seem to recall it being a betting shop - the name Kelly springs to mind though I believe unrelated to the Ardrossan bookie.

I played in Benaldies too back then which was upstairs above the Eglinton cafe. Another was in Factory place off Raise Street. Uncle Joe was the influence - it was a long time ago. Joe's story here.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

What a final frame that was as Aussie Neil Robertson came from behind to defeat Welshman Mark Williams 6-5 to go through to Sundays masters final.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

never heard the snooker being so loud and music being played between frames.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Yes, Sam some atmosphere, no wonder Robertson was in tears after the match.