The passing of Johnny Hubbard

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

The passing of Johnny Hubbard

Post by Hughie »

Just learned of the passing of Johnny Hubbard. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44563569
I first saw him play for Rangers when I was about thirteen or fourteen it was at the Ibrox sports day when I was staying with friends in Govan. From what I recall he and Don Kitchenbrand arrived around the same time from South Africa to play for Rangers.

On a trip home in 2014, my neighbour here in Oz, Johnboy (originally from Kilwinning) and I were treated to a tour of Ibrox by Pennytray. It was such a treat, and to meet the wee man himself was an added bonus.

We were actually on a cruise round the UK with our wives and had docked at Greenock. The girls did a shopping trip, While PT, John and I had a rare day at Ibrox. Thanks again Pennytray.

RIP - John Gaulton Hubbard, MBE (16 December 1930 – 21 June 2018)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The passing of Johnny Hubbard

Post by Penny Tray »

When you were a wee boy you imagined that you were many different football players but if you were taking a penalty - in the backdoor - in a street game - over the Dalry Road pitches in Ardrossan - or in an actual school match - in your mind's eye - YOU WERE JOHNNY HUBBARD!

They say you should never meet your idols but when I did meet Mr. Hubbard, which I was fortunate to do many times in my adult life, he was a GENTLEMAN on every such occasion, a lovely, lovely man.

Introducing him to somebody one day I made the mistake of saying, "This is Mr. Johnny Hubbard. He took 68 penalties for Rangers and only missed 3," and very politely he said, "Thank you very much, but may I just correct you on one small point, I never missed any penalties, three were saved." - AND THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE.

RIP Mr. Hubbard.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

I had the great pleasure of meeting him at the Dam park in Ayr, where he ran the 5 a sides. It was a double pleasure as Eric Caldow was in the team that put us out.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Glasgow Rangers F.C. put up a fitting tribute to him on their website. Although I never seen him play myself, & what I’ve read, it’s abundantly clear he was a terrific footballer & more importantly a true gentleman. RIP Johnny Hubbard
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

I met Johnny Hubbard in Ayr last year. A true gentleman.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

My late Mother-in-law used to work at the magnum and on a Holiday to visit us in SA she mentioned that she had spoken to this man at the Magnum and she mentioned her upcoming Holiday to SA. He said he was born in Pretoria and about his career in Football. At the end of her visit she asked what she could take him back as a wee gift from the Country. I suggested Biltong , all South Africans love it. (dried spiced beef) When she gave it to him on his visit to the Magnum , he shed a few tears and said " This is Gold, pure Gold " probably fond memories from his childhood. From all the posts he seemed such a Gentleman .
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Nice story, Anne. Thanks.