2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: 2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Post by michaelm »

Ah, I get you now exile, what you say makes perfect sense. :)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

michaelm wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:28 am I know the prediction's topic is just a wee bit of fun, but I've let my head rule my heart a bit by picking mostly favourite's - who don't by the way, always deliver the goods. So would actually be quite happy to see a few so called underdogs sneak through to the knockout stages.

One thing's for sure though. Before a ball is kicked in earnest, a salivating media pack from south of the border will already be making assumptions and having discussions live on air in the tv studio as to who will make the most suitable opponent's for them in the semi-final's. :lol:
michael- Like most others who have England to get through you should hang your heid in shame - are you running oot of Compact discs i wonder ... :lol:

Everybody in England know they have no chance...
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

brian f wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:29 pm michael- Like most others who have England to get through you should hang your heid in shame - are you running oot of Compact discs i wonder ... :lol:

Everybody in England know they have no chance...
Brian, I'm only guilty of indulging in what's known these day's as 'spread betting' :lol:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

For those in Australia wanting to watch our national team's three games in the preliminary rounds they are all on SBS TV. Times are for eastern Australia. West Australia -2 hours Sth Aust & NT -30 minutes.

Saturday June 16th 8pm: Australia Vs France
Thursday June 21st 10pm: Australia Vs Denmark
Wednesday June 27th 12am: Australia Vs Peru
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thought I heard the sports reporter on the TV say that more tickets had been bought by Australian supporters than purchased by England supporters at this point in time - Australia plays three days before England. Just saying! Anyway, appears there are a couple of Celtic players in the Australian team.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hughie wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am Anyway, appears there are a couple of Celtic players in the Australian team.
Hughie, I think there's two Scottish based player's in the Aussie squad. Attacking midfielder Tom Rogic (Celtic) and Forward Jamie Maclaren (Hibernian)
Rogic has developed into a class act at Celtic and Maclaren is also beginning to make a wee name for himself at Hib's.

For you Scots/Aussie folk's, here's a link or two on both player's. :)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYKW3ydgRjE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPXeF87Kh8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pglf3W_TjU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3HS2GOeL3M
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks for that, Michael. Scottish football is not to the front here as it used to be. And, as I've said in the past the only time we seem to get a couple of seconds of it in the sports TV news is when an Aussie scores a goal for the likes of Celtic. :(
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bad timing maybe Spain sacking the manager Julen Lopetegui after taking the Real Madrid job. I had them as winners now changing my mind to Germany.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just a heads-up as to the first threetowner to play in the world cup competition. See our topic here in our forum: https://www.threetowners.net/forum/view ... 20#p106920
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Very interesting stuff there Hughie.

If anyone need's dates and a UK TV schedule of the upcoming Matches. www.live-footballontv.com/live-world-cu ... on-tv.html

All kick off times are Uk time.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I'm reminded too of WILLIE CUNNINGHAM - Ardrossan Winton Rovers; St. Mirren; Leicester City; Dunfermline, including their team that beat Celtic in the 1961 Scottish Cup Final; and Northern Ireland, including their team that participated in the 1958 World Cup group stage in Sweden.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Wasn't the greatest of games, but Jeezo, that was a resounding win for Russia, 5-0 against Saudi Arabia in the opening match, especially as the Russian's form had been absolutely abysmal beforehand. Suppose it just goes to show what the excitement of a World Cup opening match at home with your own fan's behind you can do for a team.