2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: 2018 World Football Cup - discussionghght.

Post by michaelm »

Hughie wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:57 pm Time to get back to the World Cup. What a changed game it is from my youth in the 1960s. Seems defenders are now holding back and passing the ball repeatedly to each other and the goalkeeper, trying to draw the opposition to create an opening - love when that goes wrong.
Football playing styles in general have changed massively over the years, it's nowt to do with the current World Cup. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: 2018 World Football Cup - discussion

Post by michaelm »

The biggest disappointment for me so far has been the cheating that's gone completely unpunished by some totally inept refereeing. Many player's for instance have been rolling about as though they'd been shot - but then made magically quick recoveries.
But more concerning is seeing some so called superstar role model's - like Ronaldo and Neymar - getting in on the act as well.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Aye, Michael- you make some valid points. Hughie and JD - I can understand your frustration it's not been that good - Watched the England v Belgium game tonight and one the commentators was going on about how good the football had been so far in the Tournament.The World Cup has a day off Friday- Second Round starts Saturday. Wanting better....
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hughie wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:57 pm Time to get back to the World Cup. What a changed game it is from my youth in the 1960s. Seems defenders are now holding back and passing the ball repeatedly to each other and the goalkeeper, trying to draw the opposition to create an opening - love when that goes wrong.
We were talking about the WC!! VAR is now part of the procedure it's just the way things are.
Those wimin were in the nip.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

bonzo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 pm We were talking about the WC!! VAR is now part of the procedure it's just the way things are.
Hi Bonzo,

That things are 'just the way they are,' doesn't make them acceptable.
The way football is being played today is, to my way of thinking, unacceptable. Rules are being blatantly flouted and referees are allowing it to happen.
Now, before Meg and/or Hughie jump on me, let's get back to the cup.
Might be an opportunity to start a separate thread on the laws of football and the flouting thereof.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

bonzo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 pm
We were talking about the WC!! VAR is now part of the procedure it's just the way things are.
Well said bonzo.
I think VAR will ultimately prove to be a success in the future, but I don't think they should have 'trialled' it at a World Cup finals as that's what they seem to be doing here. Too many teething problem's at the moment methinks.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Start of the last 16 round knockout matches today.

First up is France v Argentina, then later it's Uruguay v Portugal.
Looking forward to both these matches - hopefully - being exciting affair's. :)
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

What a game that was between France & Argentina, best of the World Cup easily. Mbappe different class. Only 19 yrs old as well. Can see a big bid coming in for him from Real Madrid in the next couple of mths.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Great game, I wonder how much mbappe's stock has risen on the back of that performance? I think he went to PSG for around £130m. If as you say creamolafoam someone like Madrid bid for him how much it would be?
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Tho so called big guns are falling like ninepins. Now Spain is a gonner. Any team on that side of the draw must quietly fancy their chances of going all the way to the final.
Russia, Sweden, England,Switzerland,Croatia,Colombia & Denmark are the teams.
Other half of the draw is much tougher with likes of Brazil, Belgium,France,Uruguay & Mexico all fighting it out.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I wonder how anyone knows neymar is a great footballer? He's never off his backside.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:30 pm I wonder how anyone knows neymar is a great footballer? He's never off his backside.
Neymar, Suarez & Ronaldo are never going to win any popularity votes for their constant diving/ playacting etc, & it does drive you nuts, but surely your not subscribing to these guys that they aren’t world class footballers? Unbelievably talented players who , even with all their baggage, you gladly pay to see