Australian Open Tennis - 2018

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Australian Open Tennis - 2018

Post by Hughie »

No Andy to watch this year. :( very hot night in Melbourne! I'm having a cauld beer and the wife a Bailey's while we watch Roger. :)
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Australian Open Tennis - 2018

Post by creamolafoam »

Nick Kyrgios is in great form & if he gets past tsonga (which I think he will), he can go deep into the tournament. Good to see Djokovic back after his injury & getting back to something like his best. Roger Federer will be favourite to win it but I’m not so sure on this one, always a pleasure to watch though.
As for Andy, he said he is hoping to be back for Wimbledon after a successful hip operation, but only time will tell as a few big names in the past have had hip operations but ended up retiring from the game altogether that’s why it was a huge risk to operate. Anyway fingers crossed for him as he has been a big miss for me, & the game.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Roger Federer is on TV at the moment dressed as a chef and advertising pasta al dente which he has cooked alongside a famous Italian chef. He really looks good and very capable. Quite surprising that he should be doing this.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Can't really get into the aussie open with no Andy Murray :(
Those wimin were in the nip.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

So there is life after Andy Murray, young Kyle Edmund has just reached the quarter finals. Well done young man.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 pm Can't really get into the aussie open with no Andy Murray :(

Me neither Bonzo.... :(
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Kyle Edmund into semi finals in Australia after beating world no3 dimitrov. Amazing result & achievement, looking forward to see how he does against cilic or nadal in semi.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 am
bonzo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 pm Can't really get into the aussie open with no Andy Murray :(

Me neither Bonzo.... :(
Maybe i might start watching ...When does Kyle play his semi ?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Had to laugh at the BBC sports commentator on Breakfast TV this morning - “Kyle Edmonds (and I quote) is the first Brit to qualify for the semi final of the Australian Open in 34 years - Oh apart from Andy Murray” ... then she went on to say that he was the first Brit to qualify for a grand slam semi final since Tim Herman - oh, apart from Andy Murray!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish they’d make up their mind whether Andy is a Brit or not :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Aye, I know Meg. And they wonder why we want independence.
They keep muttering on about 'if the Scots and the Welsh get their own Parliaments, we English want our own English Parliament'. They've had their own #$@!&*^%ing English Parliament for ever. That's why we finally want one of our own again.
JD.
Now for goodness sake everybody, don't follow me off-topic.
Just to keep the peace; I hope Andy gets back to good fitness soon.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

John Donnelly wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 pm Aye, I know Meg. And they wonder why we want independence.
They keep muttering on about 'if the Scots and the Welsh get their own Parliaments, we English want our own English Parliament'. They've had their own #$@!&*^%ing English Parliament for ever. That's why we finally want one of our own again.
JD.
Now for goodness sake everybody, don't follow me off-topic.
Just to keep the peace; I hope Andy gets back to good fitness soon.
What does a young lad going for his first grand slam in tennis, be turned around into an independence for Scotland debate? Sound like a typical yesser. Hope Kyle does the country proud & go & win it. Pretty sure if he does, Andy will be the first to congratulate him.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

The problem with that is they play under their country of birth. Edmond plays under England flag and Andy Murray plays under Scotland flag. What she said just brings out the natural behaviour of the Media.

edit- sorry they play under Union Jack. It is always the same Scots player you are British ,English player you are English,which is why it occurred.Media is always the same.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller