Scottish Open 2017

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Scottish Open 2017

Post by michaelm »

For all you local or slightly further afield golf enthusiasts who might have a bit of spare time between the 13th and 16th of July, why not pay a wee visit to Dundonald Links close to Irvine where this years Aberdeen Asset Management 'Scottish Open' is being contested.

A host of World class golfers are expected to compete, including the likes of Henrik Stenson, Rory Mcilroy, Justin Rose, Ricky Fowler, Alex Noren - who won the competition last year - Adam Scott, Lee Westwood and many others.
The Scottish contingent includes Russell Knox, Colin (Monty) Montgomerie, Paul Lawrie, Stephen Gallagher, Marc Warren and Ritchie Ramsey.
How to get there, with a guide to ticket prices etc. https://www.aamscottishopen.com/travel/

And for the Lady enthusiasts among us there's also a very important upcoming event at Dundonald to look forward to. https://ladiesscottishopen.com/ko-relis ... challenge/
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Scottish Open 2017

Post by GEODGC »

I was delighted when I found out they were hosting this at Dundonald.....until I realised I'll be away on holiday and I'll miss the whole thing :( . At £30, it represents great value IMO when you consider The Open costs around £70. Hopefully hosting it at Dundonald will become a regular thing, I went to my first ever golf tournament last year at Troon and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was really impressed at the set up and how much it's geared up for the fans.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I can see - just like myself - you're very enthusiastic about this event GEODGC.

Depending on where you're holidaying you might possibly be able to catch a wee snippet or two on tv in a Bar or Hotel room somewhere, particularly of the final round on the Sunday.
Failing that there's always the odd - if somewhat dodgy at times - free internet streams.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I've never played golf but being about Irvine in the 60s, I remember folk down that way talking about going to play at Barassie, Glasgow Gailes, and Western Gailes. I don't recall Dundonald Links. Is this a new course or has somebody been playing about with the names. Maybe one of the former has always been Dundonald Links but referred to otherwise by the locals?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Here's some info that may help to explain things a bit Penny Tray.

http://www.scotlandswestcoastgolflinks. ... .php?id=95

I've only played Dundonald once, but although it only opened in 2003 it definitely has that 'Old Course' feel about it.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

michaelm wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 pm I can see - just like myself - you're very enthusiastic about this event GEODGC.

Depending on where you're holidaying you might possibly be able to catch a wee snippet or two on tv in a Bar or Hotel room somewhere, particularly of the final round on the Sunday.
Failing that there's always the odd - if somewhat dodgy at times - free internet streams.
I will try and catch a bit of it with a beer in my hand in Tenerife. I'm not saying it will be easy but I take these things seriously :P
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

michaelm wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 pm Here's some info that may help to explain things a bit Penny Tray.

http://www.scotlandswestcoastgolflinks. ... .php?id=95
Michaelm,

Thanks for this. Am I right in thinking now that this course has been built on the land which previously comprised Dundonald Army Camp?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

A wee bit further towards Irvine PT a spare bit of links ground make a gowf course :hi:
Those wimin were in the nip.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

When I was at school, St. Mike's Irvine, if we could we'd slip down to a putting green had a small golf course next to it.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

First golf ball I hit in earnest apart from the local putting greens in Ardrossan and Saltcoats,was on the pitch and putt course on the low green at Irvine way back around 1960.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Reminds me of back out St. Mike's in Irvine was the moor we were allowed to go out there with the restriction, 'don't go down to the weir.' We were unsupervised, teacher's well deserved tea maybe, a group of us went down to the river, Miss Medine comes out sees us, yells at us to get back. 'I told you not to go down to the weir!' Me, complete naive..'but Miss, that's the (river ) Irvine! :roll: (forgive me if I repost, sometimes I think of something to post but don't... then see that I have...it'd be funny if not so pathetic, now I get those same looks from my kids I used to give MY mum!)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis