The Scottish Premiership

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Scottish Premiership

Post by brian f »

league reconstruction- whats that all about ?
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

brian f wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:32 pm league reconstruction- whats that all about ?
brian f, In normal circumstances there'd be an easy answer to that question, but as we know these aren't normal circumstances. The only thing certain for me just now is it's mostly about money and survival.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

First off, as a life-long supporter and ST holder, I’m obviously delighted Celtic have secured their 9th league title in a row, for the 2nd time in their history.

However, I can’t help feeling a touch disappointed the way it happened. Sitting at home, under restrictions, when the expected news finally broke, and not actually physically being at a match to witness the event, was strange indeed. Not even being allowed to visit my relatives in Durham to celebrate with them was hard to take.

I’d much rather the Scottish authorities gave it just a little more time to finish it off properly. After all, other leagues elsewhere are tentatively restarting, like Germany, Spain just shortly, and the English seem hopeful of playing again, in the coming weeks.

What I WAS absolute certain about, it was never going to be declared null & void. The reason? Far too much money at stake. Null & Void would’ve been the equivalent of a ‘non event’, meaning Sky, BT Sport, BBC, sponsors and fans, would have been due to be refunded a huge amount of cash from clubs. That was never going to happen in a million years.

Clubs wanted, AND needed, their payments ASAP for where they finished in the league, simple as that. Hence the decision to ‘call it now’.

Even receiving early payments, might not save a few clubs. Don’t be surprised if a some go to the wall over this crisis.

Years ago, Bill Shankly spoke with his tongue firmly in his cheek with his now famous quip, but he was wrong.

These are strange and very difficult times we find ourselves in. People needlessly dying, and personally, I knew two victims, whom I considered friends, gone to this horrible virus.

As much as I admired him for his football know-how and general outlook in life, I reckon Bill Shankly would’ve thought twice about making his humorous comment today.

(Disclaimer: I have no relatives in Durham).
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Excuse my ignorance Peter, but is the famous quip the one about people thinking football is a matter of life and death etc. - he quipped so many, he had a really sharp wit.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

Meg wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 am Excuse my ignorance Peter, but is the famous quip the one about people thinking football is a matter of life and death etc. - he quipped so many, he had a really sharp wit.

That’s the one Meg.

I’m paraphrasing here, but it was something like, “People say football is a matter of life and death, but they’re wrong, it’s more than that”.

Sadly, with what’s going on in the world at the moment, his humorous comment was way off the mark.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Thought it was. As I said, he was quite the wit - he is also credited with saying :

If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

... and ...

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Meg wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:14 am
The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aaaaahhh.- Now that could be Johnson and Cummings talking.
Is it all right for Shankly but not for Johnson and Cummings ??

A mischief-making JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John Donnelly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 am

A mischief-making JD.
Aye - cos Shankly’s no longer with us :roll:

xx
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

John Donnelly wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 am The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.

Of course folk could say whatever they choose but as most of us know, Bill Shankly was simply talking lightheartedly about football. Politician's often speak in that tone as well, but for me it's hard to equate anything Shank's said with messrs Johnson and Cummings.

I actually think most refs do know the game and it's usually the rules they struggle to get to grips with sometimes.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Rangers has now put forward a proposal for league reconstruction.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52941423
Those wimin were in the nip.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Well bonzo, I suppose they had to put something along those lines forward after their hullabaloo and fake concern for Hearts and other clubs, which as we know was just a smokescreen to hide the real agenda - attempting to get the Premiership declared null and void simply to deny Celtic their ninth consecutive league title. Thankfully though, the powers that be were never going to be that easily duped.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

No matter what Rangers do some biased people will always consider it to be for some hidden agenda.