Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Prestwick this morning, headed out the usual way round Irvine Moor, harbourside and the beachpark where as a result of Wednesdays storm there are 4 or 5 trees across the path but you can get round them with care.

Gailes Rd next where again you are cycling on a carpet of twigs and branches (I was just waiting for a puncture) but it didn't happen :D. Barassie next where the road has been relaid in the wee scheme running down to the beach (a pleasant surprise) then I continued along to Troon where I missed out the prom as those pesky Park runners take it over on a Saturday morning.

So through Troon town centre and back onto the cycle path at royal Troon golf course, continuing on past the airport and into Prestwick along the beach and turned for home at St Ninians church.

Through the town and past the airport again where I took the short cut of the local cycle route back to Barassie. From there straight back along the road in to Irvine and hame. 30 miles.

I was humming and hawing about going out this morning as it was cold and taking longer to get light but once you get that first mile under your belt and you've het up its fine.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Left castlepark this morning towards Kilwinning, onto the dubbs Rd and along the coast of the 3 toons.
Once in Ardrossan I went up Glasgow st and turned back to Saltcoats along the high Rd and back to Kilwinning. Through the town then headed out to auchentiber, lochleabo Rd and back to Irvine. 26 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It’s been a few weeks since I was last out. But made the effort today.

A bit chilly, but I risked it in short sleeves. Was OK, but I think I need to look out the warmer gear now.

Along dubbs road to kilwinning. Breezy. Something didn’t sound right with the bike - a rattling. Also realised that I’d filled my water bottle before leaving, but left it on the kitchen table. So stopped at Kilwinning to buy a bottle of juice. Checked out the rattle - this was my first ride since putting the winter mudguards back on, and I had forgotten to tighten up one of the bolts. Fixed that and pushed on along the cycle path towards Glasgow.

Round behind Dalry, I approached the roadworks where the new bypass is being built. I had been told that the path had re-opened, but couldn’t see an obvious way through, so followed the back road along to the den, and then to Auchengree. Into Glengarnock, then joined the cycle path again to Lochwinnoch.

Quick stop at Lochwinnoch - coffee and a bit of cake - then on to Kilbarchan, elderslie and into Paisley, where I got a train back to Kilwinning then biked home.

52km in total. And a wee milestone - I’ve done 1777 miles this year - which is significant because my total last year was 1773.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Down to Ayr this morning, picked up NCR 7 at ravenspark and toddled along from there. It's been a couple of weeks since I've headed that way but there are still a few trees blocking the path at the beachpark.
Beautiful morning but pretty cold to start with but by the time I reached Troon you could feel the heat from the sun.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Af7btZPxgzEMQapk7
Continued onto Prestwick and into Ayr. Turned back just after Perronis fish shop and stuck to the main road through Prestwick then back on the cycle path at the airport. From there stuck to the local cycle route and straight back to Irvine. 33 miles.
Last edited by bonzo on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

You got further than me today!

Left early - it was very cold. I got as far as the Blue Star garage, and I decided I really needed my big gloves. So turned back to get them. Arrived home, and the phone was ringing - something else had come up, so I didn’t get further than about 4 miles today!
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Hadn’t been out for a few weeks, but the opportunity arose today. I had a day off, and a package to collect from a shop outside Ayr.

No more shorts this year - long legs and windproof jacket, and bigger gloves.

Left Saltcoats, then Kilwinning, through Irvine towards dreghorn, then out towards shewalton. Turned left past Beechams, then through Drybridge and Dundonald. Crossed the A77 near Hayes garden centre, and on towards Tarbolton. More farm roads to Coylton and Annbank, ending up at Auchincruive. In to Ayr at Whitletts, picked up the parcel, and train home from Prestwick.

57km, and a bit hilly in the middle section.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Let's talk e-bikes

For older folks like me who have spent many many years cycling and enjoying the exhilarating experience, e-bikes seem to be the way ahead. It's not a matter of just sitting on the bike and pressing a button and away you go - you can add a bit of effort if you want to.

Today there are so many accessible bike tracks around where we live and this seems to be a viable way to go. Some years ago I used to run No. 2 son to golf events in Melbourne and take my bike and explore the nearby bike tracks. Now I'm thinking about a fold-up e-bike to re-explore those tracks again.
Has anyone noticed the increase of e-bikes where they live?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I’m seeing more and more e-bikes around. And they’re generally well accepted in the biking community. At one end of the scale, it’s encouraging people who don’t cycle to get out, and at the other it’s enabling people who perhaps no longer have the fitness or strength that they used to have to keep enjoying cycling.

Many of the better bike shops will have e-bikes that you can “test drive”. Locally, RT Cycles in Glengarnock have e-bikes that you can hire for a few hours, or a full day - both road and off-road versions. Their hire place is next to the Castle Temple visitor centre in Lochwinnoch.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Got out for the first time in weeks this morning. Pottered around Irvine and then around the 3 toons. Cracking morning and 20 miles covered.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

After a few interesting cycles to work this week due to the high winds it was good to get out in some calm weather.
Headed down to Troon no wind but persistent rain, the kind of rain that induces brain freeze so much so about 4 miles in I had to stop and put a bunnet on..
By the time I got to Troon beach the rain was easing off, I was trying out a new winter jacket which seems pretty waterproof.
Over the railway line at the prestwick side of the town and onto the local cycle route back to Irvine. 22 miles.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Bruce wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 pm I’m seeing more and more e-bikes around. And they’re generally well accepted in the biking community. At one end of the scale, it’s encouraging people who don’t cycle to get out, and at the other it’s enabling people who perhaps no longer have the fitness or strength that they used to have to keep enjoying cycling.

Many of the better bike shops will have e-bikes that you can “test drive”. Locally, RT Cycles in Glengarnock have e-bikes that you can hire for a few hours, or a full day - both road and off-road versions. Their hire place is next to the Castle Temple visitor centre in Lochwinnoch.
Started to look at the e-bikes a couple of months ago thinking I might get one only to be put off when the salesman said I would need to register it with DVLA AT A COST OF £55 plus get insurance for using it on the road and had to have a license to ride it is it the same in UK
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Didn't know this manbear but the law is different in northern Ireland. A quick Google and here's what I found.

What if I live in Northern Ireland?
The rules are slightly different in Northern Ireland and you do in fact need a moped licence to ride any electric bike. It will also need to be registered, taxed and insured. You can register your bike online through this link. You do have to tax your bike, however you don’t have to pay anything.

There are regulations that need to be followed in NI to ensure you’re riding your electric bike legally, you must:

Wear an approved motorbike helmet
Display the registration mark on the back of the bike
Have insurance for the ebike
You cannot ride your electric bike on cycle paths or pavements in Northern Ireland.

Hope this helps.