Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:28 pm A trip to Prestwick this morning. Left Castlepark and headed to Ravenspark onto the cycle path at the recycling centre and through the moor and down to the harbour, where this weekend is the tidelines book festival with a gin tasting at puffers cafe (good job I don't like gin) :lol:
Turned onto the path at the beach park then along to Barassie and Troon, out past Prestwick airport and down to the beach. When I got to Bruce's well I turn back through the town and back on the cycle path at the airport then retraced my steps back to the hoose.
Another nice morning but it's definitely getting chillier. It just goes to show the difference in mileage when you go back along the beaches as my mileage was the same as last Saturday, 35 miles.
Another good run bonzo. Scottish gin seems to be everywhere at the moment. :drunk:

In all the supermarkets in England, but a bit pricey..
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Haven’t been out on the bike as much as I would have liked this month, or last - but managed a trip this morning. Up the coast to Largs, on to Skelmorlie, then back the same route.

Stopped at largs for a drink on the way back.

Uneventful trip, other than when I was nearly home - about a minute from my house - some idiot decided to overtake me on the high road, at the traffic islands near Jacks Rd. Yes - he sat behind me along the high road, then when he saw the traffic island (or “traffic calming”) ahead, he pulled alongside me and tried to squeeze through the narrow bit. Just about knocked me off - and the pavement was teeming with school kids too! I’m sure I could hear him screaming through clenched teeth and red mist “got to get past the bike, got to get past the bike”.

These idiots shouldn’t be on the road.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Started off as a wee trip to largs this morning but when I got there the cumbrae ferry was just coming in so decided to jump on it. So glad I did the views from the other side of the island were stunning on a beautiful morning.
When I got to millport and looking back to the mainland there was was something in my head telling me something was missing but couldn't think what it was.
It was when I got off the ferry it clicked that the hunterston wind turbines are away.
Bruce was that you I pasted in fairlie? Sorry if it was I was to busy watching the grooves in the road hahaha.
53 miles today.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

No, I was heading south today.
Didn’t expect to get out, cos I broke my bike last weekend - back wheel bearings went - and I’ve not got replacement bits yet. But it was a nice dry morning, so I took the “good bike” out.

Saltcoats to Kilwinning along Dubbs road, through Irvine and Gailles, towards Troon and Loans.

Turned left just past Loans, towards Symington then Dundonald. Quick stop at the cafe at the castle, then towards Dreghorn, Perceton Row, Lawthorn, Benslie, Kilwinning and back to Saltcoats. About 52 km.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Hahaha Bonzo I was trying to picture in my head how you 'pasted' Bruce without knowing it was him that you had run over and splattered over the road. Gave me quite a chuckle. (I do know you meant passed)
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hahaha bloody predict a text passed it should have said :lol:
And Bruce I don't feel so bad now knowing it wasn't you, but it beggars the question who was it?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Aw well, clocks went back last weekend so it was time to dig out the long troosers, full gloves and big jacket.
This morning I went out through Ravenspark golf course onto the cycle path and headed to Kilmarnock. When I got to the Western road I turned back to Dreghorn. Then to Perceton Row and the Stanecastle.
From there to Benslie and Kilwinning. Onto Stevenston along the High Road through Saltcoats and Ardrossan where I turned back at North Crescent Road. Back to Stevenston where I popped in to see my faither then back to Irvine.
When I got hame Mrs B had made a big pot of lentil soup, happy days :D
37 miles today.
Last edited by bonzo on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I went along to Portencross, then Largs this morning.

New wheels on the bike. New helmet. Even a new light,

But still the same old engine....
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:15 pm I went along to Portencross, then Largs this morning.

New wheels on the bike. New helmet. Even a new light,

But still the same old engine....
Make sure you keep it well oiled //funny
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 pm
When I got hame Mrs B had made a big pot of lentil soup, happy days :D
37 miles today.
She certainly looks after you -bonzo, Just what you needed. It's cauld outside . :clap:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Honestly Brian, we live at the bottom of a cul de sac and I turned the last wee corner this morning and I could smell the soup :amen:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Irvine to Ayr this morning. Followed the cycle path all the way down and went as far as the pavillion where I stopped for a drink. It was bloody cold must have taken me 6 or 7 miles to get some heat in my legs.
When I was inbetween Troon and Prestwick I had an amazing view of Ayr where there was a fine low lying mist giving it a right eerie look.
I came back to Irvine the fast way on the road to Prestwick and then the local cycle route to Barrasie. I had a great view of Arran most of the way hame where goat fell is snow capped for the first time this year.
35 miles today.