Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Same Brian, it was originally Mrs b's trainer which she set up and almost instantly became a clothes hanger. I put 1 of my bikes on it before Christmas and was using it quite a lot. In February I bought a little bike computer and seeing what your doing is quite motivating. Since the middle of February I've clocked over 300 miles.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

That's good going bonzo- If my maths are right it works out an average of about 5 miles a day. I now need motivating as i miss my daily exercise with Alfie who passed away in November. Dogs and cycles are a good way of keeping fit- Have no desire to join the posers in the gym. Maybe feeling a wee bit auld.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I don't do it every day, I like to get a good batter at it so 35 minutes and I like to get over 10.5 miles.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Still getting out on the bike fairly regularly, haven’t been posting here, as I’ve not been going anywhere new - same routes as usual, maybe out to Portencross or Largs and back, or maybe Irvine/troon.

But last night I thought I’d try something different. I mapped out a loop “around the 3 towns”, trying to keep as close to the edge of the town as possible.Basically keeping the bulk of the “3 towns” on my right, and the countryside or the sea on my left.

I wonder how many of our ex-pat friends will recognise these street names... there were some places that I’d never been!

Started near the North Parish church on the High Rd.

Along the High Rd to Tesco, thought the lane from Tesco car park to the new houses (“Mayfield Manor”)
Gooding Court - Graham Ave - Diddup Drive - Cunninghame Drive - Mayfield Rd - Sinclair St - Loccard rd, and back onto Glencairn St.

Round the Hayocks:
McGregor Ave, Reids Ave, Campbell Avenue, Cambuskeith Rd, Hillhead Rd, Castlehill Rd.
At the end of Castlehill Rd, I followed a track that took me to the service road behind B&Q and McDonalds.

Back onto Kilwinning Rd, heading back into Stevenston, then down the ICI road to Ardeer.

Lundholm Rd, Golf Avenue, Trelawney Terrace, then path out to Stevenston point.

Follow the coast path along the shore, and over “the slabs” (Seaview Rd) to Saltcoats.

Erksine Pl, Harbour St, The Braes, Winton Circus, S Crescent rd, Princes St, Harbour St, Harbour Rd, and right out to the ferry.
Back across the level crossing, Dock Rd, past Ceccinnis and the marina flats. Mariner’s View, Montgomerie St, N Crescent Rd and on to Eglinton Rd to the end of Ardrossan.

Wee detour into McMillan Drive and up Keir Hardie Drive, back down the hill, Eglinton Rd again and up Witches Linn

Under the railway at the top of Witches Linn, Island View, Montfode Drive, Munnoch Ct, then a path that took me up the hill to South Isle Rd, near “The Reaper”.

Dalry Rd, then Chapelhill Mount.

Path to Nithsdale Rd, Lawson Dr, St Margaert’s Rd, Lairds Weir, path to Stanley Rd.

Greenacres, Knochrivoch Place, Sorbie Rd

Burns Ave, Auchenshangan Dr, Burns Ave, Meikleaught Pl, Burns Ave, Fleming Crescent, Mossgeil Rd, Carrick Ave.

Path to Windmill Wind, then the top of Dalry Rd.

Path through to Martin Sq, Mulgrew Ave, past Mayfield primary, path to Ivanhoe Dr, Loop round Middlepart Crescent and Ailsa Rd, then path taking me back to the High Rd, where I started.

26.5km, 1 hr 20 mins.
Last edited by Bruce on Sun May 10, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bruce,

Well done, but I can't see the picture.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I could see it earlier but not anymore.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Changed the way the image is hosted - try now.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

:good:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

//perfect
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Another “novelty ride” tonight - an A-Z of Saltcoats

Adair Ave
Border Ave
Corrie Crescent
Dalry Rd
Ellisland Cresc
Fleming Ave
Gilfillan Ave
High Rd
Islay Cresc
Jacks Rd
Kennedy Rd
Longfield Ave
Middykes Rd
Nineyard St
O’Connor Court
Park Rd
Quay St
Robertson Crescent
Seabank St
The Braes
Union St
Vernon St
Winton Circus

and then I ran out of alphabet. No X,Y or Z in Saltcoats, unless you know different.

I thought about Stevenston Cross for X, or Portencross, but it was getting dark. There’s a Young St in Ardrossan, and a couple of Ys in West Kilbride but can’t think of any Zs locally.

20km, just over an hour.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Now we're allowed to get out for a bit longer I got the bike out again. I'm still sticking to the road as much as possible and staying off the cycle paths as they are chocca.
So out through Ravenspark golf course ( or dog walking area) along Dubbs rd and round the quarry. Moorpark east and west and the dug track. Towards Saltcoats and down by the Braes then south beach to Ardrossan followed the road to the start of the north shore before turning back along the High road back to Stevenston.
Onwards to Kilwinning up by the cemetery and then to Auchentiber. From there I headed back into Irvine through the Staincastle and followed Middleton Rd and turned right into Perceton row, Dreghorn, Drybridge and Dundonald.
I stopped here for a drink and a bit of chocolate before heading down to the coast through Barrasie, Troon past the airport then cut down on to Prestwick beach. Back into Prestwick town and followed the road back past the airport up towards the bypass turning onto the B road that takes you to Troon. Past Marr rugby club through Loans along the Gailes rd around the beach park and hame.
It was really good to be back out on the bike even though I've got a sair erse noo :lol:
55 miles this morning.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vPOpW4JgVEv
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

That’s a great run, and a lot further than I’ve gone recently.