Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by bonzo »

Out early this morning and it was flat calm so decided to go big on the mileage. Not anything out of the ordinary straight up the road to Inverkip where I turned into the kip marina and onto the coastal path and went as far as Luderston Bay. The usual drink and bit of chocolate taken before heading back down the road.
As usual at this point the rain came on and stayed with me all the way back to Irvine. When I was coming back through Largs there seemed to be a problem with the Millport ferry, it was sitting just outside the harbour and there was a lot of banging coming from it.
63 miles today, my furthest this year.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

My goad that's some distance bonzo :clap:

Had to google Luderston Bay- never heard of the place!
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I was out a wee bit later - left about 9.30, the rain started by the time I reached Stevenston... and I was glad I had the long sleeved jacket on.

Kilwinning, Irvine harbour, Gailles. Towards the paper mill, then past Beechams to Drybridge.

From there, went along some farm roads that I hadn’t explored before, looping round Dundonald towards Symington, then back through Dundonald, Irvine, kilwinning and Saltcoats. 49k on the clock when I got to the end of the road, so a wee loop round the block to make it up to 50.

Rain hardly stopped all the way. Drookit!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Twas a good day for it, thoroughly enjoyed it. Knees are sair noo :lol:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

3 Ayrshires this morning. Irvine to Stewarton then to kilmaurs and kilmarnock, Gatehead and down past Dundonald to the coast. Along the beaches of Barrasie, Troon and Prestwick then the prom at Newtown on Ayr where I stopped for a drink. Onto the main road at Tam's brig and back to Prestwick and straight back to Irvine round the harbour and hame.
On a sad note I have never seen as much roadkill as I seen this morning. This got me wondering have animals got too used to there being no cars on the road?
46 miles this morning.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

That’s a good run.

I headed from Saltcoats towards Portencross. went as far as the end of the road, then turned back; half way back to the main road turned left and along the farm roads, eventually coming back onto the main road.

The main road was closed just south of the power station, but there’s a bike path/bridleway that goes past Hunterston castle that bypasses the roadworks. From there went down the Power station road to Hunterston, turned back and on to Largs. Watched the world go by for ten minutes, then headed back by similar route. Breezy, but pleasant run.

The road is closed at Hunterston, all weekend, for resurfacing. There were signs in Saltcoats and Ardrossan - A78 closed south of Power Station, Diversion.

There were more signs along the North Shore, and as you go through Seamill. “Road Closed Ahead - Use Diversion"

At the Portencross turnoff, a big sign saying “Road Closed Ahead. No Access”.

At the next turn-off, more signs, and cones across most of the road. But enough room for local traffic to squeeze through.

And at the turnoff for Hunterston Castle, road block. Cones across the whole road, vans, more signs, CCTV, and a guy standing there.

I stopped there for a couple of mins to chat to someone - and in that time, at least 6 cars drove up to the sign, and turned back, some giving the worker guy a mouthful of abuse. Did they not see the signs, or did they just not believe them?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning as is the norm just now up and out before 7am. It was in my head last night a run to largs so that's where I went.
Going along Dubbs Rd I was trying to think of a different way of getting there. Through the 3 toons along the coast when I got to the start of the North Shore I double backed Into Ardrossan and turned up at the Alpine stores and up past Stanley school and across the bypass and into the country. More uphill until you spy the Munnoch Reservoir where you get the relief of a great downhill bit that takes the pressure off your legs before turning towards West Kilbride which involves more uphillness.
Once at West kilbride it's all downhill with some spectacular views to boot. This brings you out on the road between Seamill and Hunterston I turned back towards Seamill and onto the bridleway past Hunterston castle, Fairlie and largs.
I cycled right through Largs and out the other side trying to judge 50 miles by the time I got hame.
Stopped for a drink and my usual bit of chocolate before heading for hame. That was done the normal way right back down the coast to Stevenston through the quarry back to the Dubbs rd and back to Castlepark.
51 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Sounds like a great trip. I was out slightly later, leaving about 9, and had to be home and ready to go back out before 12, so a short trip today. But I covered some of the same roads.

Starting in saltcoats, along the high rd, sorbie rd past the cemetery then Stanley road to dalry rd. up to the bypass at the top of Ardrossan then like bonzo followed the road past the dams as far as the Munnoch dam and the west Kilbride rd.

However I turned right towards Dalry, then right again along some farm rds that eventually took me to the saltcoats dalry rd.

Back towards saltcoats, then past diddup and lochwood farms to Kilwinning.

Quick visit to daughters house, then back via penny burn and dubs rd. just out for about an hour and a quarter
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Love it up there Bruce, it's a fair climb fae the Alpine stores but the drop into Dalry is worth it :good:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Decided to go out for a run yesterday afternoon as I have a lot to do this weekend.
Headed down to Ayr and thought I'd give the cycle paths a go but they were chalka so I was back the road by the time I got to Irvine harbour.
I was thinking on going as far as Alloway but as a got there I changed my mind and kept going. This is now new territory for me cycling and by goad it was hilly.
When I reached the top I stopped and had a look at Google maps to see how I could get across to the Dunure road. So onwards through Culroy where maps told me to turn right and up past knockdon with some more up and down hillness and the road was getting worse and more path like I decided I was lost.
At this point I looked at maps again but it wasn't working. I then said bugger it and headed back from whence I came. The big hill out of Alloway was now downhill and really fast.
From there I came straight back up the road to Irvine.
51 miles.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

You should have popped into our back garden for a cup of tea and a choc biscuit :wink:

What hill out of Alloway btw?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The big wan that takes you up past Wellington playing fields, starts just about as soon as you cross the river.