Threetowners cycling thread

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by brian f »

A good first innings for the bike -bonzo-enjoy.

Is the shows at the South beach as big as the ones that used to be at the braes.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Nah Brian no as big as the auld shows, more like the fair you used to get at Stevenston shore.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Trundled down to Ayr this morning, out through Irvine moor to the harbour and the beach park. Along the gailes rd and then barassie and troon beaches. At prestwick airport I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the c47 Dakotas that are there at the moment but too no avail.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/loca ... e-16193199
Luckily I seen one flying over Irvine last night. On to Ayr where I stopped at the river and had drink and a bit of chocolate and then turned for hame. As I did the rain started and stayed with me all the way back, just as I was coming out of Ayr I noticed a big billboard saying Katie price is appearing at some club in Ayr tonight, thought to myself the town had let itself go //funny .
I came straight back through prestwick and missed out troon and barrasie then back to castlepark. 33 miles today.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Ayr again this morning. Followed route 7 all the way from Irvine to Ayr. I continued on to alloway and stopped at Burns Cottage for a drink. https://photos.app.goo.gl/HV4x9PYRPYXaJUeW9
Turned down into Donfoot rd back to the town and route 7 back to Irvine. 45 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It was inland for me.

Saltcoats to Kilwinning, then up past the cemetery and onto Blair Rd towards Dalry. Kept going to Highfield, where the new bypass has opened. The cycle route was closed here while the bypass was being built, but it’s re-opened this week.

Stayed on that route (which is pretty lumpy) until Glengarnock, then onto the old railway path, giving me a flat run to Lochwinnoch. Coffee stop at Castle Semple loch, then back the way I came. Turned towards Dalgarven, then over the farm roads behind stevenson to the saltcoats-dalry road, then back down the hill into the 3 towns.

56km (35 miles) in total.

I was just testing myself for the long trip next weekend - I had the lurgy last week, and I doubt I could have biked beyond the end of the street! A bit better today, but would have struggled if it had been any further. Hopefully next weekend will be OK.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning I headed up the staincastle onto Middleton rd and towards the bunnett toon. Once there I pointed in the direction of kilmaurs and into kilmarnock. Around the one way system and past the court and rugby park.
From there it was past dundonald to the coast and along the beaches of Barrasie, Troon and Prestwick. Turned back at Bruce's well through Prestwick town back past the airport back along the beaches, Gailes rd the beach park, harbourside the moor and hame.
46 miles today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I did some of the same roads, but not the same order!

Saltcoats to Kilwinning, then into Irvine. Harbour, then Gailles and out past the paper mill.

Dundonald, then in past Monsanto to Dreghorn. Turned right, on to Springside, then left towards Overton farm and Cunninghamhead.

Kept going to Stewarton, then turned left and back via Torranyard, Benslie and Kilwinning. 58km, which I think is about 38 miles.

Torrential rain for about 5 minutes, but the rest was nice, if a bit breezy.

And if you’re wondering what happened to the report on last weekend’s 100 mile trip - I had to call off at the last minute, for family reasons - my wee grandson made his entrance to the world that weekend!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Congratulations Bruce.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This morning I decided to try somewhere I don't usually go. I headed up to kilmarnock then Crookedholm, Hurlford, Galston, Newmilns and stopped at Darvel.
Came back to killie the same way but headed to Barrasie, and Troon before turning back to Irvine.
52 miles covered today.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Not been that way for ages. Did you follow the main road from hurlford to galston, or take the cyclepath?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I stuck to the road, actually forgot about the cycle path.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

This is from the Road.cc web site.

Next week, Channel 5 is screening a documentary called Cyclists: Scourge Of The Streets? and if the advance publicity is anything to go by, describing it as a look at a so-called “war of the wheels,” it’s unlikely to be sympathetic to people on bicycles as well as being far from the first programme to examine a perceived “us versus them” mentality between those using different forms of transport to get around.

Its on channel 5- Tuesday 9 July @21.15