Scotland Football Team.

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scotland Football Team.

Post by Hughie »

John Donnelly wrote:Get them started young and encourage their enthusiasm.
That's it, John. Get the parents involved with their kids in sport - any sport.
Son Jamie and grandson Fraser are mad keen members of Melbourne Victory in our A League
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Your reasoning is good John, but unless we can find a ball with an on/off switch and headphones - the kids are just not interested. The don't play outside when the get home from school unless it's in their own back door. The biggest happiest roar of the day is when its raining outside and the school jani rings the bell four times signaling a "wet playtime" - they don't need to go out.

Shame...
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

For about 10 years now, I have been possessed of a less than optimistic outlook on Scotland's games. Sad to say, I'm seldom disappointed as I don't expect a draw much less a win.

So what's wrong with our game? EVERYTHING! The rot starts at the top, Executives who can't negotiate TV rights for a decent fee, and in hindsight, ineffective appointments. These individuals are paid big money for their expertise and knowledge and should be accountable!
Managers always cop it for under-performing players so GS will go. However, most of the team should be told they're an embarrassment at International level.
Does Scotland need a reconstructed International set-up? MOST certainly as I cannot see any other solution; gut the organisation from top to bottom and start again. After all, what achievements can this mob boast of? Can we be worse off than we are now?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I really don't know where we go from here. We've had henry mclieshs think tank, we appointed Marc wotte as performance director although the big clubs basically laughed at his idea of an under 20s league. We've had 7 managers since the turn of the century.

We are now sitting 2nd bottom of the group,we have won 2 of our last 11 games. I just can't see where success will come from. Short of closing down the sfa and starting again with people who are football related rather than money makers. Something has got to change.
Those wimin were in the nip.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Practice ball skills with a tennis ball up a close, and/or keepy up against a wall. Less stress on competitive team games, play three and in, again with a tennis ball and watch the skill levels soar. It worked in the past and it could again.
Having watched England take a 2 nil lead against Spain I was wondering if maybe we are a wee bit hard on our Scottish team, we were 2 nil down against the run of play. Hm I don't know! :smt102
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

A Scottish player who has been completely overlooked is Burton Albions goalkeeper Jon Mclaughlan.I see him most weeks and he improves with every game,he is a lot better than what has been between the posts in the last few games.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Gordanna it's the one position the national team isn't really short in. Craig Gordon, Gordon Marshall, Scott bain and Allan macgregor ( when he's fit)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Gordanna wrote:A Scottish player who has been completely overlooked is Burton Albions goalkeeper Jon Mclaughlan.I see him most weeks and he improves with every game,he is a lot better than what has been between the posts in the last few games.
bonzo wrote:Gordanna it's the one position the national team isn't really short in. Craig Gordon, Gordon Marshall, Scott bain and Allan macgregor ( when he's fit)
I get bonzo, though none are-Lev Yashin.

To win games you have to score more than the opposition.

And who have we got...
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

I wouldn't change Jon Mclaughlan for two of the others,he is one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship because of what plays in front of him.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

It is said that a busy goal keeper is a good goalie but a great goalie is one who has little to no do in a game and still brings off great saves when needed.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Could bonzo be at Easter road watching Scotland v Canada ? an ex rangers reject Fraser Aird has just scored for Canada to go 1-0 up .It's only a friendly mind...
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Indeed I was shocking performance and jeez it was freezing. Back in the pub now with a nice warm pint of innis and gunn.