Craig Ferguson - in America on purpose

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Craig Ferguson - in America on purpose

Post by Hughie »

In American on Purpose

The book had been there confronting me for the last fortnight right at the entrance as I entered our local library here in Australia. Oor Morag had alerted me to Craig Ferguson some time ago. He's good - he's very good. I prefer him to Letterman any day - mind you, few if any here in Oz would know who Letterman was. :roll:
Craig Ferguson delivers a moving and achingly funny memoir of living the American dream as he journeys from the mean streets of Glasgow, Scotland, to the comedic promised land of Hollywood. Along the way he stumbles through several attempts to make his mark-as a punk rock musician, a construction worker, a bouncer, and, tragically, a modern dancer.
To numb the pain of failure, Ferguson found comfort in drugs and alcohol, addictions that eventually led to an aborted suicide attempt. (He forgot to do it when someone offered him a glass of sherry.) But his story has a happy ending: in 1993 the washed-up Ferguson washed up in the United States. Finally sober, he landed a breakthrough part on the hit sitcom The Drew Carey Show, a success that eventually led to his role as the host of CBS's The Late Late Show. By far Ferguson's greatest triumph was his decision to become a U.S. citizen, a milestone he achieved in early 2008, just before his command performance for the president at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner. In American on Purpose, Craig Ferguson talks a red, white, and blue streak about everything our Founding Fathers feared.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Craig Ferguson - in America on purpose

Post by morag »

I hope you enjoy the book, Hughie, I did. Much like Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes, Tis), he manages to see the worst of times with humour. He jokes about it on his show but his studio really is tiny! I've yet to see him flummoxed by a guest. Funny man! :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Haven't read the book, but did see him when he was "Bing Hitler" - good live stand up!

Meg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Loved the book and when I saw this clip and the accompanying comments I can't help but think what a great ambassador for Scotland. The sincerity of this guy shines through - a legend in my eyes.

[youtube][/youtube]
sparralegs
Settling In
Settling In

Post by sparralegs »

Harry and I went to see Craig at the magnum in Irvine about 20 years or so, he was fantastic, the audience would not let him off the stage it was encore after encore, and he shouted heckle me or something, come on whits keepin yea. A great entainer.
Jean
sparralegs
Settling In
Settling In

Post by sparralegs »

I can see that I'm a way out with my spelling of entertainer. Lol
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

morag wrote:I hope you enjoy the book, Hughie, I did. Much like Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes, Tis),
Thanks for reminding me about Tis, Morag. I've been meaning to look for this in the library - what a remarkable story teller Frank McCourt was.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

and so apropos of our time and race. Malachy does not quite have the gift, thank you Frank, loved them..
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We have a new free to air TV station started yesterday here in Oz (don't know if it's only in the Melbourne area). It's Channel eleven. Netta's Bobby rang me to tell me that Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show is on it week-nights at 10.30pm.

Missed the first night, watching the second night now. Started of with a few Charlie Sheen jokes. Oh he's actually just now acknowledged that Australia is now watching - he's waved a wee Aussie flag and said G'day and cracked a couple of Aussie Jokes. The audience seems to be in has hands or maybe they give them a wee hauf or two before the show - enjoying it better than that East coast late show. Mind you the hype of both shows doesnae seem exactly genuine to me.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

That was the only thing I didn't like about going to the show, Hughie, they all have warm up people who interact with the audience, tell awful jokes tell when to applaud etc., when there was really no need, Craig was really funny and we'd have roared laughing without any help!
C.S.Lewis
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hughie wrote:
morag wrote:I hope you enjoy the book, Hughie, I did. Much like Frank McCourt (Angela's Ashes, Tis),
Thanks for reminding me about Tis, Morag. I've been meaning to look for this in the library - what a remarkable story teller Frank McCourt was.

I loved Angela's Ashes but didn't enjoy Tis nearly as much. Might have that book, Hugh. Will check later today for you.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

He was actually on at 11am on Tuesday Hughie I just happen to have a look
and he welcomed all his Aussie viewers with an Aussie accent he came on again
at 10 30 pm and he really is very funny, Im now gonna be a late late show covert.