Plays on the tele in the 70's about working class life in Glasgow

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Plays on the tele in the 70's about working class life in Glasgow

Post by 5siamese7 »

Three outstanding plays were Just Another Saturday, the Elephant's Graveyard and Only a Boy's Game. Unfortunately the first two cannot be seen for free on Google but' Only a Boy's Game is still available. Well worth watching not just for the patter but it was a time when ordinary folk in Glasgow had a job. Frankie Millar plays a guy obsessed with being a hard man. However in my opinion the most interesting guy is a guy nicknamed "Dancer" who has a wife and three kids but still thinks he is "Jack the Lad" and although he works to support his family he feels trapped. His wife tells him he will come to a sad end going around with the guy that Millar plays. These prove to be prophetic words. Is there any hope for these people. Well Dancer's children come across as being intelligent and could do well at school but will they be able to break out of their deprived situation made worse by the loss of their father? Try and watch it before its taken off.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Plays on the tele in the 70's about working class life in Glasgow

Post by bonzo »

I started a thread about peter mcdougall plays last year. I have them all on dvd but I'm quite sure you will be able to find them on YouTube. As you said these are brilliant plays and takes you back to the 70s.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The first two are unavailable on You Tube. I had Just Just Another Saturday on dvd but gave it away as a present. Any way guys you can still see Only A Boys Game on You Tube. Well worth watching.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

No' quite the 70's but a classic nonetheless. :lol:

Rustyduck
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rustyduck »

I remember a play i saw ion TV the last time i was in Scotland !1976 It was called We are the People!About foot ball !Any one remember it?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Kind of think that would be the beginning of "just another Saturday" A picture of John Grieg and tapping "we are the people" Wish I hadn't given that video away although the Ludge were taken for a ride in the making of the play.