P/M John Thomson

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
aboode
New Poster
New Poster

P/M John Thomson

Post by aboode »

John Thomson was Pipe Major of the 5th Battalion Highland Light Infantry when he was killed in Gallipoli (Turkey) in 1915. According to the Scottish National War Memorial he was born in Stevenston.
Could anyone tell me in which year he was born and when he was appointed P/M of 5 H.L.I.?
Aad
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: P/M John Thomson

Post by Penny Tray »

Aboode,

Could there be any connection with the John Thomson mentioned in the following link?

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sctay ... l/mem1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
aboode
New Poster
New Poster

Post by aboode »

The John Thomson mentioned in the newspaper cutting was a private in the Black Watch, so that must be a different person. On the S.N.W.M. site I could find only one Black Watch soldier named John Thomson who was killed in 1915 and he was from Lanarkshire.
The others mentioned in the newspaper are Robert Murray and David Craig. I found Private David Craig from Stevenston, Ayrshire and Private Robert Murray from Longriggend, Lanarkshire both of 1/4 Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers and killed Dardanelles on 12 July 1915. There is also a Corporal Robert Murray of 1/4 Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers from Dalry, Ayrshire killed Dardanelles 23 July 1915,
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Looking beyond 1915 I see that the Ardrossan Saltcoats Herald BDM database shows two JOHN THOMSONs killed in action during the first world war -

John Thomson - (11/8/16) - husband of Elsie Ritchie

John Thomson - (10/5/18) - son of William and Jane Thomson

The dates, of course, refer to particular editions of the newspaper and not when the soldiers were killed. There was often, I understand, a huge discrepancy between the two due to the difficulties of identification, communication, etc.

Perusal of the actual newspapers may provide greater detail?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

John Thomson, born Stevenston, was a Sergeant Piper - Pipe Major is an appointment not a rank - with the 1/5 Bn (City of Glasgow) Territorials HLI. He was killed in action on July 12, 1915. He is buried at Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery, Gallipoli. although no date of birth is given, his grave is listed as one of interest on the website http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/12_t ... metery.htm. I have checked the 1891 Scottish census and found a John Thomson in the registration district of Stevenston born in 1882. The dates are about right.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Been checking a few sites, still can't find when John Thomson was appointed Pipe Major but came across this in The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the War 1914-1918, by F.L. Morrison: "On 28th June we again embarked for Gallipoli, this time on the Menominee ... In the evening impromptu concerts were held, at one of which, on the fo'c'sle decks the pipers played "The 5th H.L.I.'s Farewell to Aboukir," composed by Pipe Major Thomson. Can its plaintive harmonies still be heard, or did they perish with him when he fell just ten days later?"

Liking Hamish Henderson's poetry and music, I've heard the 51st ( Highland ) Division's Farewell To Sicily http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfa8iEuD ... re=related but I've not been able to trace this one ... so far
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: John Thomson
Birth Place: Stevenston, Ayrshire
Death Date: 10 Jul 1916
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Ardrossan, Ayrshire
Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
Battalion: 9th (Service) Battalion
Number: S/4574
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Name: John Thomson
Birth Place: Stevenston, Ayrshire
Death Date: 12 Jul 1915
Death Location: Gallipoli
Enlistment Location: Glasgow
Regiment: Highland Light Infantry
Battalion: 5th (City of Glasgow) Battalion (Territorial)
Number: 8504
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

Parents could be given in Military -Genealogy.com pay per view.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

geomacintyre wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:39 am

Liking Hamish Henderson's poetry and music, I've heard the 51st ( Highland ) Division's Farewell To Sicily http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfa8iEuD ... re=related but I've not been able to trace this one ... so far
A documentary film "Hamish" about Hamish Henderson is currently available on the BBC i player.