Photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960s

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960

Post by Penny Tray »

georgeflemingard wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:14 am Unfortunately i have never been able to pinpoint exactly where The Ardrossan Rest was, i have had several suggestions that it could have been "Jocks Lodge" or "Max's bar" but none of these have been confirmed. I have a wee water Jug that i have had since i left Scotland in 1961. Printed on the Jug is "The Ardrossan Rest" propritor Robert Storrar, this was my Great Grand Father. In the early 1890s he lived in Winton Street then moved to Iona Cottage, 31 Hill place. but in 1899 he had left this address and moved back to his place of birth "Balgedie" where he died that same year. so its still a mystery, maybe the Pub was not even in Ardrossan, but this is unlikly as a similar jug to the one i have was found on Ardrossan south beach a few years ago and is now in the Museum in Saltcoats. So i am still confused.
George F
The following advert in the 25 February 1901 edition of the Glasgow Herald suggests that ROBERT STORRAR owned the licensed premises at No. 37 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan. Whatever the premises were called during his ownership they were definitely JOCK'S LODGE until demolished in the 1960s or 70s.

ARDROSSAN – DESIRABLE LICENSED PREMISES

For sale by public roup, within the Town Hall, Ardrossan, on Saturday 2nd March, 1901, at three o’clock afternoon - that property situated in Ardrossan consisting of the public house, No. 37 Glasgow Street, presently occupied by Mr. James Black, with the butcher’s shop adjoining and dwelling-houses above, along with the dwelling-houses and other premises behind and tenement of housing fronting Montgomerie Lane, all presently possessed by Mrs. Agnes Buchanan or Storrar, widow and executrix of the late Robert Storrar.

The public house, in which a large business is being done is let on a lease expiring on Whitsunday 1907, when a substantial increase of rent may be expected. The subjects, which are in good order, and have a total rental of £118 9s are held on a long lease, with over 100 years still to run. Tack duty 10s per annum.

The property can be seen on application to Messrs J. & J. Adams, House Factors, Ardrossan.

Upset price £2100.

For further particulars, apply to Robert M. Young, solicitor, Kinross, who has the title deeds and articles of roup.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960s

Post by georgeflemingard »

Penny tray,
That's brilliant. That confirms the research I have done and came to the conclusion that, the address of "The Ardrossan Rest" was indeed 37 Glasgow Street. It also confirms what my late Mother told me, that it was later called "Jock's Lodge" . I also found out that Robert M Young was a relation of my Great Grandfather Robert Storrar. The name Storrar carried on in the family. My Father was Called "Robert Storrar Fleming" and my late, youngest brother was also Called "Robert Storrar Fleming". Thanks so much for this new information.
'George F.