Photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960s

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960s

Post by George Ardrossan »

I have been asked if I have a photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960s. I don't have one from then, only the one below taken in September 2002.

If anybody has a photo that shows the old houses that were demolished to make way for the new ones shown above, I would appreciate a copy.

Thanks.

George
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Photo of Kilmahew Street, Ardrossan in the 1950s or 1960

Post by georgeflemingard »

George I think that part of kilmahew st used to be called montgomery Lane, way back in the old days my Great grand Father Robert Storrar owned a house there at Number 10. He was the Guy that owned a Pub called "The Ardrossan Rest"
George F
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

George

As well as being called Montgomerie Lane, I think it was also known as Quarry Lane.

I have never heard of The Ardrossan Rest pub till now. Where was it?

George
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Hi George,
Unfortunately i have never been able to pinpoint exactly where The Ardrossan Rest was, i have had several suggestions that it could have been "Jocks Lodge" or "Max's bar" but none of these have been confirmed. I have a wee water Jug that i have had since i left Scotland in 1961. Printed on the Jug is "The Ardrossan Rest" propritor Robert Storrar, this was my Great Grand Father. In the early 1890s he lived in Winton Street then moved to Iona Cottage, 31 Hill place. but in 1899 he had left this address and moved back to his place of birth "Balgedie" where he died that same year. so its still a mystery, maybe the Pub was not even in Ardrossan, but this is unlikly as a similar jug to the one i have was found on Ardrossan south beach a few years ago and is now in the Museum in Saltcoats. So i am still confused.
George F
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

That's interesting, George. Perhaps someone can help with the location of The Ardrossan Rest.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

George, have you searched the censuses for Ardrossan for 1881 and 1891? From my experience you'd be unlikely to find the premises named as the "Ardrossan Rest". Street names and dwelling numbers is about all that were recorded apart from the family's details relating to where born, age and occupation.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Hi Hugh
Yes i have check the 1891 census and found the family at 17 Winton St. Ardrossan. Tha Father {Robert Storrar} occupation is given as Wine and Spirit Merchant, But like you suggest there is no mention of od an address for the "Pub"
George F
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Fifth go.....

Hi George,
have you tried the North Ayrshire Heritage Centre? If not, here's the link:

http://www.ers.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/lo ... tactus.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

That's a good idea, Irene. I'll call in over the next few days.

George
jimmcisaac
Settling In
Settling In

Post by jimmcisaac »

I can remember sitting in the top "flat" at 157 Glasgow street watching them demolish the tenements in Kilmahew street. Two bug caterpillar tractors with a chain strung between them, a quick drive along the row and the whole lot came down. If memory serves me the rats that came out of there were huge!
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

hahaya2004 wrote:Hi George,
Have you tried the North Ayrshire Heritage Centre?
Irene
Irene
I called in at the Heritage Centre today. Although they have a well-organised collection of photos, there are none of Kilmahew Street but thanks for the suggestion.
George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

At other end of Kilmahew Street towards Princes Lane, mid to late fifties, I remember some of the houses on the same side as "The Den" being pulled down by a demolisher by the name of Fisher - my dad at the time worked for him. My brother Bobby and I took barra loads of cut up floor boards up to Whitlees Crescent to burn in our living room fire.