Kirkhill Burial Ground

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Kirkhill Burial Ground

Post by sweet caroline »

I came across this reference to Kirkhill Burial ground being C listed.In todays enviroment where does it sit.

http://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/Docume ... ldings.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Kirkhill Burial Ground

Post by George Ardrossan »

Ellen

I'm not sure of the current status of Kirkhall Burial Ground but here are some photos of it taken on 31 October 2004.

Around the late 1950s, when a building development was about to take place, some stones were moved to make the commemoration shown above.

The original ground had this inscription:
'This burial-place was erected by Hugh Weir of Kirkhall.
Dorothia Hunter, his wife, died Sept. 26th, 1787, aged 67 years.
Hugh Weir died Jany. 9th 1800, aged 72 years.
Helen Ferry, wife of Robert Weir, died April 20th 1814, aged 56 years.
Robert Weir died July 31st, 1838, in the 81st year of his age.
Hugh Weir, died 26th April, 1898, aged 83 years.'

I have been told that, in the 1940s, the burial ground was known as Cissy Anderson's Cemetery because at right angles to Stanley Road and beside the burial ground wall was a cart track about two hundred yards long that led to Cissy Anderson's farm. I cannot verify this information but would be pleased to hear from anyone who can.

George
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

George.
Great photos.The first photo ,is that the openning for Beggs Terr.from Stanley Rd.Can remember running across that road in the 50's to the swing park.That was all that was there.A little bit further up than those swings in the photo.The second photo,is that the start of Elm Park.Had a sister in law, lived in the houses further down towards the Cemetery road.Funny how you never notice your surroundings,well i never noticed that burial ground.Likely too busy keeping an eye on my children .Of course there were no houses so far down on that side when i stayed in Ardrossan.

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Came across this a few days ago,and may interest a descendant.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/ ... shire#1-75

Sc
Overtherainbow66
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Overtherainbow66 »

Hi been tryin to find out what was at Elm Park before it was built? Tia
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

As far as I remember, it was a green field site - running down to the burn which flowed into the dam. The dam was drained and became part of the Elm Park development. But my memory is getting a bit hazy these days :wink:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome OTR66
From what I recall from back in the 1950s it was just a corn field, that's all I can recall getting grown there - there were no buildings. South of that, behind what was the bottom end of Kirkhall Drive there was a reservoir.
Hope this helps! --- Meg beat me to it. :puter
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Regarding the title of this topic, CANMORE, who maintain the National Record of the Historical Environment, and who were previously referring to the burial location as KIRKHILL, have recently amended it to KIRKHALL - which shouldn't surprise anyone from Ardrossan.

https://canmore.org.uk/site/41141/ardro ... rial-place
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.