Christmas Memories

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Christmas Memories

Post by Hughie »

Christmas Memories

Possible discussion pointers:
- Personal recollections
- Family traditions
- Xmas Parties
- Christmas decorations
- School Christmas dances
- Most memorable present
- Pantomimes
- Street Decorations

These monthly topics are simply a tool to promote conversation and bring up subjects which have not been covered before or very often. if you can add to these topics it would be appreciated. If you'd like to suggest a future topic please contact me.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

subject

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hi Hugh.
The first I remember about Christmas was in Dockhead st.
Saltcoats. was seeing the lights on the tree. at that time
they were small candles held on the branches with small clips.
as I found out in later years. the tree looked great with the
bobbles mum had put on it. obviously I was not aloud to touch
because of the candles. when dad and mum put the gas light
out it looked good to a wee girl of 3/4. :oops:

Best wishes. Ellen. :)

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

My dad was usually nightshift Christmas Eve, so when he came in at 7 o'clock on Christmas morning from the Shell Mex, I had already been up for what seemed like hours - ate my (Canadian?) McIntosh's apple and my tangerine (which was wrapped in silver paper) and had taken the Oor Wullie or the Broons - whichever one it was that year - back to bed with the small tin of Bluebird toffees which I got every year. No great big pile of presents, usually just one big thing, one wee thing, an annual as well as the Broons/Oor Wullie book and the aforementioned eats. Christmas day dinner was a chicken usually (which was considered an expensive meal back then - although I remember the year my dad won a turkey in a raffle and it was delivered Christmas Eve afternoon - alive! He was the only one that ate turkey - or Bill as we called it - that year - :-)

Meg
joromomi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by joromomi »

Hi Hughie,

I used to love when we got ''toy '' post office stuff, we would play shops all day. Roller skates were good too, everyone in the cul-de-sac would get a wee shot.
The one thing that sticks in my mind....one year i was desperate for a Tambourine....I got a tangerine, I was heartbroken that year. :cry: :cry:
One year I got a little white umbrella with black cats and dogs all over it.now I was very happy with that 8) :D Even when it wasn't raining :oops: :roll:
Joyce :)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

One of my favourite pass times around Christmastime was making sure I always got the window seat in the bus whenever I went anywhere. I loved to see all the Christmas trees in folks' windows. Back then, that's all you saw...a beautifully lit Christmas tree in the window...but somehow that was enough.
Nowadays, you have to work overtime just to pay the electric bill when you get finished decorating the house, inside and out!

Catherine :)
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.