Breakplough, Stevenston

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Breakplough, Stevenston

Post by imajrk »

I'm so glad that one of the cottages has survived. We used to play around there as children when there were cottages both sides of the lane. I'm sure it ran almost parallel to Glencairn Street. My aunt lived 70 Glencairn Street which backed on to it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Both P.T. and J.D. posted about the Breakplough on the Kerelaw photo topic. P.T. was curious about the name and J.D. remembers the name Brekkleshuch (sp) , I too recall this name. Someone suggested that it had a germanic sound to it but the "shuch" part has been in use locally for as long as I can remember , I still use it to identify a close shave i.e. " you cleared that by the shuchs (skin) o yer er-e " . I'm just wondering if the name Brekkleshuch had something to do with "threshing" , there was a mill not that far from the breakplough/Kerelaw mains farm many years ago.
P.T. enquired if the land in that area was stoney hence " Breakplough" . Old habits die hard P.T. , it sits beside the Quarrel Burn, could it be social unrest. :blackeye:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Shuch is the Scottish name for sickle
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

little plum wrote:, there was a mill not that far from the breakplough/Kerelaw mains farm many years ago.
I never remember hearing of a mill near Kerelaw Mains.
There was the mill on the burn at the foot of the Townhead in Stevenston. Is this what you were thinking of? It would have been only a couple of hundred yards down the burn.
Thinking a bit further, what we knew as the Mill dam was right opposite Kerlelaw Mains. I always assumed that this was used to store water to run the mill-wheel when the burn was too low.
JD.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

imajrk wrote:I'm so glad that one of the cottages has survived. We used to play around there as children when there were cottages both sides of the lane. I'm sure it ran almost parallel to Glencairn Street. My aunt lived 70 Glencairn Street which backed on to it.
Jean, hi.
I've been meaning to respond to this for weeks but never seemed to get round to it.
Who was your aunt? I was born in 70 Glencairn St. My aunt Nan and uncle John, my father's brother, lived there in 1943. She was the district nurse and she acted as midwife when I came on the scene.
JD.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

michaelm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:44 pm
John Donnelly wrote:
exile wrote:The photo reminds me of the row of whitewashed cottages in a short cobbled street which I used to walk through on the way to the Cross from MacGregor Avenue, through the Millhill Road/Place cul de sac?
Is that still accessible?
Hi Exile.
That was Begbie's dairy. The houses are still there, but the road is now a private access. The access to the Cross is all changed since they built Mount Pleasant
JD.
Aye, the old Cottages at the Millhill Road/ Mount Pleasant area are fairly well screened off with wooden fencing and densely packed shrubery etc.
A couple of days ago though I managed to squeeze my camera lens through a wee gap in a wooden gate and get the shot below.
If the Cottage owner sees this .. I hope you don't mind me posting this snap of your lovely wee hoose. :)
Walked past this way today and the house nearest the burn looks derelict. Smashed windows and piles of junk in the garden. Shame. Not sure about the cottage in the picture?
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

John Donnelly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:33 pm
imajrk wrote:I'm so glad that one of the cottages has survived. We used to play around there as children when there were cottages both sides of the lane. I'm sure it ran almost parallel to Glencairn Street. My aunt lived 70 Glencairn Street which backed on to it.
Jean, hi.
I've been meaning to respond to this for weeks but never seemed to get round to it.
Who was your aunt? I was born in 70 Glencairn St. My aunt Nan and uncle John, my father's brother, lived there in 1943. She was the district nurse and she acted as midwife when I came on the scene.
JD.
Hi John. It was actually my grampa Parks’s flat. I had an unmarried auntie Lizzie, and an unmarried uncle Adam. They moved with him. They were originally in Boglemart Street. I only have vague memories of Boglemart. I dont know when they moved to Glencairn Street. I was born in 1948, but i did visit Boglemart Street, so it was after that. My grampa was a miner, and also the greenkeeper at the Rec bowling club. By coincidence, my dad helped your aunt Beth out of a shed when an incendiary bomb dropped on the factory.