Dog tracks

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Dog tracks

Post by georgersweir »

Penny Tray wrote:George,

Am I correct in thinking that the second dog track in Irvine was in fact called 'Townhead', the results of which, incidentally, appeared in most national newspapers? Access gates, as I recall, not that I ever attended a race meeting there, were actually situated in Broomlands Drive (off the Townhead).

Both local tracks were a family concern but I can't recall the name of the family?

I was also interested in Little Plum's recollection of Little Hampden. Every schoolboy wanted to play there because the set-up was a cut above most public parks. I played against Irvine Bank Street and St. Michaels there.
PT, I'm sure you're right about the dog track being called 'Townhead'. I recall hearing the noise of the dogs and the crowd from the main street, but was never present at a race - likewise, for the Bank Street track. I never knew anything about the ownership of either track.

'Wee Hamden', as it was known locally, was special and seemed to be used only for 'more important' matches. I played there a couple of times, but I don't remember details of the opposition. In later years, I recall with some sadness, seeing the railing around the pitch was rusted, partially broken, and clearly left to decay. Hopefully, it has been restored by now...
I'm still saving up for a signature.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I don't know why this popped up in my memory but, I seem to remember a group racing or training whippets at Ardeer point. They had a motorised retrieve of the hare, and when this was in motion the dog owners would release their dogs.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
zoot peterson
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by zoot peterson »

does anyone remember a stock car race, late sixties early seventies. possibly on the site of the old stevenston dog track.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

georgersweir wrote:Now that dog racing has practically disappeared, what has happened to all the greyhounds? I've heard that they make great pets. The actress Annette Crosbie is an outspoken supporter of greyhound adoption. This site seems to be UK based and receives celebrity support from Annette and others.
George,

I can assure you that dog racing is still going strong. A visit to any bookmakers on a Friday night or Saturday morning will confirm that, although it tends now to be at big venues with far better facilities than the old local tracks could offer. That's me just gone public on another bad habit :oops:

In terms of Irvine Dog Track (the one near wee Hampden) it was still operating in the early to mid 80's.

Mitchy
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

georgersweir wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm Now that dog racing has practically disappeared, what has happened to all the greyhounds? I've heard that they make great pets. The actress Annette Crosbie is an outspoken supporter of greyhound adoption. This site seems to be UK based and receives celebrity support from Annette and others.
I went up to "Scratby" last week its a few miles from Great Yarmouth where Dog racing is on 3 nights a week. Scratby is a wee place the local populace is mostly middle class retired living in bungalows,although no way i would consider it posh . I noticed quite a few locals walking a Greyhound some had two. I think we have moved on now from Greyhounds simply disappearing, though saying that many Dog tracks have closed down.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Brian, there are 3 greyhounds in my street (all rescue) one lady kinda fosters them while they are waiting to be re homed.

As for Irvine dogtrack I can remember going along a couple of times in the late 80s early 90s.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Bonzo,

When you say "dog track" (singular) - which one did you visit? When I was around Irvine in the early 60s they had two thriving tracks, one down a lane off Bank Street, and one at the foot of Broomlands Drive.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The one at the playing fields behind Bank St PT, it was pretty run down by then but I still remember large sums of money changing hands.
This page mentions the 2 of them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvine_ ... an_Stadium
Those wimin were in the nip.
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

I think that the dog track opposite the end of Auchenharvie was called "Grandview" - or something like that - maybe someone can confirm.
Scott McCallum
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Scott,

I think it was the Granvue Stadium.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.