" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

morag wrote:I wasn't, Bill, just of my mum's warning! He was a gentleman, brought up in England, as yours. But that's all she needed to say to get us to behave! He adapted to life in Stevenston, worked ICI boats. he worked on boats since 14, school leaving age then, his uncle owned a trawler, RN then merchant navy. He was born in Scotland but in a house full of, Scots wife and 3 daughters, us all blethering away and at the usual rate, he'd just go sit away from 'the action'..'I can't understand it when you all start speaking together..' Lol ...actually, my Scottish bil had the same reaction to me, my sister and pals, finish each other's sentences or didn't have to and burst out laughing..maybe it's just us.. Lol
No worries Morag sometimes we take the wrong slant to things lol. Bill
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Morag

It was an old steam roller. Played on it many a time.

Was brought up in the Caley, happy days.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Yes I remember it too.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Wonder why it was just abandoned like that? But then so much in the 3 toons wasn't appreciated until too late..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

morag wrote:Wonder why it was just abandoned like that? But then so much in the 3 toons wasn't appreciated until too late..
It had no value Morag it would cost more to remove it than it was worth in scrap.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

They. generic, cooncil, could have put in a playpark. Oh, but we didn't have playparks then, we just ran aboot and had fun in stuff like this..
C.S.Lewis
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Indeed we did Morag like trying tae get lassies tae tak their nickers aff.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Guid luck there Bill..us wee cafflick lassies had oor knickers stapled tae oor vests and liberty bodices...but we stray again..I miss all that was available on a saunter 'roon the toon.' Never was bored, there was always something. When I was walking my dog, latish, through Kerelaw about the time of the borstal etc...there was an elderly man, Fulton? a watchman,in a caravan, invited me for a cup of tea, had a nice chat. He was prob bored as fekk, we sat outside, enjoyed the evening and the tea.
C.S.Lewis
Rhionnach
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Rhionnach »

I was wondering if anyone had any photos of the houses that used to be in Portland Place, opposite the garage? I lived in number 12 until I was just over 2 years old then we moved to Saltcoats.

I remember the houses being made of blonde sandstone and having outside toilets and stairs that went up to the first floor flats. There was a wee lane that ran behind them, between the railway and the houses, presumably where the washing was hung out and I remember delivery vans selling food.
It is impossible to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I wish I could help with your request Rhionnach, as I too lived in Portland Place as a young child. Unfortunately though I don't have any photo's from the time, but I do vaguely remember the ootside Lavvies.

I don't think their construction was particularly airtight in those days. No doubt for obvious reasons. :wink:
During the summer months, that led to the odd bumble bee or even worse, a wasp, getting in and causing panic while someone was sitting on the throne.

Mind you, the wind blawing roon aboot yer erse in mid-January wouldn't have been much fun either. :lol:

Edit. Just realised 'vernacular' isn't appropriate in this forum. Apologies.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

I can't help with a photo of that side of the street, but here's a view of the right hand side that's been posted before on this topic.
Trades Hotel.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Lovely old fotos Hughie, really nice. Was the Burns Tavern formerly the Grants?.