" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by glenshena »

I should have said was the Grants formerly the Burns Tavern! :oops:
chef
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chef »

Reading a mention of the Grants Arms. it just re-opened as McGlones on Friday August 12th 2017 .
Fair winds and Good beers to its new owners.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

glenshena wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 pm I should have said was the Grants formerly the Burns Tavern! :oops:
Yes it was, Jean. I've split talk about the recent changes from McBlethers to a topic on its own in our threetowners' Lounge. See: Grants - Now McGlone's
Rhionnach
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Rhionnach »

I've just noticed that the writing on the photo of Steels garage also mentions the Trades hotel. Is that the building further down the road? What was that?
It is impossible to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

It was a hotel for single men who were tradesmen who came to work in the area. Later it became an educational store under Strathclyde Regional Council. Became obsolete and was demolished.
ralph
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ralph »

Mark, my name is Ralph Ballintyne, and I am a born Irvinite, and have lived just South of Aberdeen for almost 38 years now with my Wife and family. I always try to keep up to date with what's happening in Ayrshire and saw this forum. You can imagine my surprise when I noticed a couple of posts featuring an old girlfriend of mine from 1964, namely Maureen Arundel.

It was so nice to see that she is still fit and well, and living in Stevenston with her family, I met Maureen through a friend of mine John Smallwood and his late Wife Jean Martin, from memory, I think both girls worked at Blackwood and Morton in Kilmarnock. I also noticed Maureen's friend Joan Hannah who worked in AT Mays in Irvine is still friendly with her, that's a good few years now.

Keep up the good work on this form, always nice to see that old acquaintances are still around, and keeping well.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

ralph wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:46 pm Keep up the good work on this form, always nice to see that old acquaintances are still around, and keeping well.
Ralph.
As a Stinstonite who's lived here most of my life I think the John Smallwood you mention might just be the same JS I knew who hailed from Irvine. If so I remember playing many a round of golf with him at the Auchenharvie course in Stevenston - and he was still a good golfer at that time, 50+ in years and only a 5 or so handicapper - although I'm sure he played off a bit lower than that at Irvine's Bogside Course in his younger days.
And I believe John's Son was quite a talented golfer who turned semi-pro for while.

Unfortunately I haven't seen JS for a number of years, but I sometimes bump into one or two former fellow golfer's who might meet him on occasions. If so I'll be sure to tell them that Ralph Ballintyne was asking for him.
ralph
New Poster
New Poster

Post by ralph »

Michael, thank you for your reply to my post, the John Smallwood may well be the same person, Johnny lived in Kilmarnock as far as I can remember, he was brought up in Smith Avenue in Irvine, and worked for many years in the Hyster Company in Irvine. I also keep friendly with his Cousin Robert Smallwood via Irvine Meadow, and I know he had a Brother called John also, so it may have been him you refer to, but hey, either way, I'm sure we both know the person you speak of. I used to play the odd round in my earlier days at Ravenspark in Irvine, wasn't great at it TBH, but the game keeps you fit and healthy.

All the best and keep swinging those clubs, that click when you hit a good one can't be beaten.