A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
howiesboy
Settling In
Settling In

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by howiesboy »

Sad to see that the stroll has ended. Really enjoyed it. Amazing achievement by Penny - well done and thanks for all the work you put in. It will be sustained online for future generations.

A couple of thoughts - turning into Glencairn St at the foot of Raise St was Jimmy Erskine the barber, then Matt Taylor's bookies, then Harry Donaldson's bike shop and then a gate to John Hainey's yard. John was a builder / slater and a good friend of my father. Maybe the yard belonged to the bookies?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Howiesboy,

For Penny read SUSAN, I, like others, was simply happy to contribute when I could.

And as you've just shown we will all doubtless pop back into the stroll from time to time, either to add to it or draw from the wealth of information Susan both contributed and gleaned.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

As a late addition, I've come across a couple more advertisements that are worth a mention.
BMD Carpets 1974.jpg
This one which dates from 1974 details yet another carpet firm having opened in town ( and selling other things like blinds as well it seems ), and by giving such an exact location helps solve a small puzzle from earlier.

Back when we were visitingGalbraith's bakery, Morag remembered buying takeaway lunch items from a bakery somewhere along that stretch of Dockhead Street and thought it was called City Bakeries ; but we didn't know where that could have been. Given the address of No 98 however, all is made clear, because that was the home of Gibson's bakery , so it looks like City Bakeries had taken them over ( in fact I do now remember something of the sort happening just before I left town ).Moreover it seems they ceased running the tearoom Gibson's had upstairs, because that was where the carpet firm then opened.

On a completely different tack, although it's been remembered elsewhere we've never given the Bethany gospel Hall a mention on the Stroll as a Saltcoats feature of the sixties and seventies, so to remedy that here's an advertisement for it from 1970:
Bethany Hall 1970.jpg
It will have only just moved to Ailsa Road by then,because previously it occupied the hall on Vernon Street next to the Co-op which was demolished in the early seventies, as described in this topic.

And finally while I'm here, further thanks to all those who've posted appreciative comments on the Stroll since my last post in acknowledgement.

Susan
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Susan just an update on the Bethany hall, it has ceased to be a gospel hall and is now a childrens nursery come play group.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks, Meekan.

Susan
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

Iv got a bible from Bethany hall prize giving 1978
pussycat
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pussycat »

does anyone remember the westfield hotel when archie howie was in it?
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

[quote="howiesboy"]Sad to see that the stroll has ended. Really enjoyed it. Amazing achievement by Penny - well done and thanks for all the work you put in. It will be sustained online for future generations.

A couple of thoughts - turning into Glencairn St at the foot of Raise St was Jimmy Erskine the barber, then Matt Taylor's bookies, then Harry Donaldson's bike shop and then a gate to John Hainey's yard. John was a builder / slater and a good friend of my father. Maybe the yard belonged to the bookies?[/quote]

I thought Bain the Plumber owned the yard. I recall a huge advertising board there also!
Norrie Ford
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Norrie Ford »

wellparkno9 wrote:Hi Canfactory, I thought the fire was in the late 50's.It was in Artherly Pl. and there is still a gap site left to this day.At least one man died ,a Mr Lee.He was a brother of Hector Lee who owned the Albion.He had 3 sons and a daughter and his wifes name was Ailsa. Sam.
I remember the fire a lot. John Lee's Dad died in that fire and the Noble's house was destroyed to. They came and lived in Anderson Drive next to us...I thought it was great as I fancied Jean Noble a wee bit.
Norrie Ford
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

I may have said this elsewhere but the house in Arthurlie Place prior to the Lees owning it was the Weston family home for many many years and still has great impact in the family of what happened there. It is sad that no-one can actually tell me when this house was burned down. As a youngster I remember being told about it and that someone had died there but the date didn't really stick. So if anyone knows when this event actually occurred it would answer a question that I've been asking for a long time.margb
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

margb wrote:It is sad that no-one can actually tell me when this house was burned down. As a youngster I remember being told about it and that someone had died there but the date didn't really stick. So if anyone knows when this event actually occurred it would answer a question that I've been asking for a long time.margb
Hi Margaret,
I remember writing about this before, but it could have been way back when we were an e-mail sharing group. Here's my recollection:
I'm thinking it happened C1957, and most likely on a Saturday night. About five or six of us from Ardrossan used to head home from the Monkey walk on a Sunday night and pass Arthurlie Place before heading through the Plantation. I still remember that Sunday night and recall knowing prior to passing it that there had been a fire there and there had also been a death.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Thank you Hughie. I'll have to dig a bit deeper. Now that I know the gentlemen's name that passed away, it may be of more help if the intimations have been recorded.