A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by Penny Tray »

Penny Tray wrote:
down south wrote: Does anyone know the Plumb Rock, which is also mentioned in the article?

Susan

EARLY DEVELOPMENT OF THE BATHING POND

Bathing in Saltcoats seems to have become popular about 100 years ago when for a number of years bathers disported at the harbour and the territory behind its southeastern wall.

The harbour then had not been reconstructed and swimmers dived from the quay end into the water which at low tide was about 20 feet below.

Just before the turn of the century many bathers began to prefer the old Saltpans area where the present bathing pool stands, and for a while both locations remained in use.

Both places suffered from similar disadvantages — at low tide the water receded leaving only rocks and sand, and in those fastidious days undressing in the open was found to be an uncomfortable and distressing business.

At low tide it was necessary to resort to the Plumb rock farther out to sea and about 300 yards to the west. The longer trail was a burden to all except the enthusiasts and the rock had also the reputation of being somewhat dangerous.

The regular frequenters formed themselves into the Saltcoats and Visitors Bathing Club whose object was to improve facilities at the Saltpans. A slipway was laid down to deeper water at low tide, a concrete diving butt was constructed and a clubhouse was provided. The first bathing attendant was a well-known local man, Mr D. M. Scott, a retired lighthouse keeper.

The town council began to take an interest in 1894 when they spent £33 on "bathing erections," but two years later a heavy storm swept away the first clubhouse.

The council then built, or took over — it is not clear which — a new dressing house, incorporating the old gable of the Saltpans, and the pond was formally opened in 1908. This remained in use until 1932 when it was demolished to make way for the present pool.

In 1900 another pond was provided for the free use of bathers behind the old harbour, but that pond never proved very popular. Traces of it can still be seen from Sandilands promenade just over the sea wall opposite the Mission Coast Home.

Saltpans bathing pond was completely rebuilt and opened in its present form in June 1933 since when it has been a favourite haunt of the young each summer.
Susan,

I was reading an article today in an 1872 edition of the Glasgow Herald, the full contents of which I'll post next month in another topic, but it describes the death by drowning of a Glasgow holidaymaker at the THE PLUMB which is described as the configuration of rock in the sea opposite Melbourne Terrace, Saltcoats, "a very dangerous place.....where three other bathers, at different times, have lost their lives. It is situated near the corner of a rock, where it is supposed there is an undercurrent, working the sand into a large hole."

This is undoubtedly the phenomena described elsewhere on 'THREETOWNERS' as the 'SALTCOATS WHIRLPOOL' and which, to the best of my knowledge, last claimed the life of REBECCA LENNOX, aged 9, in June 2004.
The "Plumb" also gets a mention in the 6 July 1872 edition of the Glasgow Herald with a report on the business of Ardrossan Parochial Board, viz:-

"The inspector called the attention of the Board to the recent case of drowning at the "PLUMB," and said that the authorities had called his attention to the dangerous nature of the place. So far back as 1865, when a man had lost his life there, the "PLUMB" had then been filled up, but it was now as dangerous as ever. He mentioned that a public subscription had now been started for the purpose of erecting a danger beacon. A member announced that between £5 and £6 had been obtained for this purpose, and the subscription was not yet closed."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Now, that's interesting Laurence.
I have a vague memory from when I was very young, that there was a kind of mast structure sticking out of the water somewhere to the Ardrossan side of the swimming pool. It wasn't all that far out, and somewhere in my memory, I recall my father saying that it was to warn people of a dangerous place for swimmers.

JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

You're absolutely correct, John. When we were boys the area, directly opposite Winton Street, was simply referred to as "the whirlpool" and there was an iron shaft, embedded in concrete, with a red triangle on the top, pointing it out as a danger area. It was the last place in the world I would have gone swimming, the reason for this simply being passed on from one boy to another by word of mouth.

I don't live locally and wonder if the "PLUMB", as we now know it to be called, is currently marked in any way!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
particklady
New Poster
New Poster

Post by particklady »

hi everyone, not born in 3 towns but I was coming on holiday from very early age now live here as it had big impression on me, mum took rooms in canal street there were 7 of us weans, dad stayed home and came on a Friday till Sunday, we always ended up along prom to sand dunes as there were to many weans and no shops lol I remember veronicas who seemed to sell everything you needed for beach her window always filled with adverts for lets, mum brought us all through on the train sat us on the beach with us older one to watch the weans as she went looking for a let it was freezing in march but she said it was good for peely wally weans from the city lol . many a great holiday we had so in the year 1999 I decided
when the opportunity came up this was only place I was coming to luv walking along shore reminiscing.
I can get a bus with my bus pass im ready for any where I want to go.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

A warm welcome, Sylvia. It's a shame many of us from the three towns have lost the connection to those Glasgow families who came (doon the watter) for the fair. We had regulars from Govan and I have great memories of going up to Glasgow as a fourteen year old and getting involved in their street games.

It would be great to hear from folks like yourself who were brought down to our towns from Glasgow for the fair fortnight all those years ago, and willing to relate there experience.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

In the early 1950's we lived in Manse Street, SALTCOATS. Does anyone remember the little grocers shop opposite the Salvation Army, owned by a very nice lady who gave us sweeties when we came back from school. Miss Murchie rings a bell,. But maybe she was the primary teacher.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

I may be getting mixed up,but I think the shop you mean was Cathrine Robertsons.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

Penny Tray wrote:Scott,

My fading memory tells me that Alex White lived in Arthur Street?; that in the early 60s he traded with a horse and cart?; and that he also did the 'donkey rides' on the beach opposite Montgomerie Crescent?

I wonder what my score would be out of three?

And if I'm correct with the latter two, where did he keep his animals?

alex white who is my cousin stayed in arnott place with his mum and dad, when he got married he stayed in Arthur street last close on left coming up from seabank street downstairs door on the right, as mentioned earlier him and his dad had stables in wellpark road.

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
mickmullin
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mickmullin »

Jimmy and Alec white stayed in the last house on the right in arnott place ,there was a park behind Blakely rd from the bridge up to saltcoats Vic's park where his horses grazed his neighbor accross from him was paddy mcnamee
E12377
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by E12377 »

Jim Richmond. I'd love to know more about your connection to John Fleming. He was my great grand father too!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

E12377 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:23 pm Jim Richmond. I'd love to know more about your connection to John Fleming. He was my great grand father too!
Hi E12377 - this is an old topic and the person you are asking your question of might not be still reading the forum on a regular basis - perhaps messaging them by using the contact link below their details on the right hand side of their last message might be a better solution. Let me know if you need help.

Welcome to the threetowners.

Meg
awgibson82
New Poster
New Poster

Post by awgibson82 »

Number 68 was my gran and grandpa's house. Archie and Euphemia Gibson. As far as I recall they bought the house from Peter and Pearl Buchanan. The glass panel with the clan motto was inserted by the Buchanans.....the same clan as Gibson ironically.