Auld Paddy Cunningham

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Auld Paddy Cunningham

Post by Hughie »

Got this handed to me by one of my rellies while here in Scotland. Paddy, along with his wife who was my granny's sister raised my mother and her brother along with Joe Cunningham the snooker player. According to Paddy, there was no way my mother was to marry a Protestant. But he was thwarted, she ran away at the age of sixteen to Glasgow and declaring she was twenty when marrying my dad. Another mixed up orange and green family. :wink:
I never knew about this wee story.
PaddyCunningham-1.jpg
The presentation of Canonical Robes to to Canon Fischer was made by Patrick Cunningham and Hugh Magee, the oldest male parishioners. Thanks to Tom McGrattan for the photo taken in 1966 I believe.

Many older Ardrossan folks will remember auld Paddy. Perhaps because he was such a grumpy old Irishman, or knew him as the man with the talking Jackdaw in Barrie Terrace. Apart from seeing him often at his home up the Buff Close at the bottom of Glasgow street, I've still visions of him carrying his sythe down to the Chapel to cut the vast area of grass at the back. Don't think he ever came to fully accept us wee proddies. We always headed up there above old Ezzie's shop for a bun, after the Saturday afternoon matinee at the Lyric.
FischerLawrence6.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Auld Paddy Cunningham

Post by Hughie »

Hughie wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:32 pm or knew him as the man with the talking Jackdaw in Barrie Terrace.
From what Danny Cunningham has told me recently. The Jackdaw was actually rescued from the Plantation by Seamus Cunningham, the local celebrated hairdresser, Danny's brother - from the Rowanside Terrace Cunningham family.
sacha2009
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by sacha2009 »

Re auld Paddy Cunningham

Hi
Paddy Cunningham was my grandfather, he was married to my gran Elizabeth Cunningham.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Sacha2009,

Back in 2009 while visiting with Aunty Elsie (Hand) Hitchman, in Hastings, England, she gave me this photo taken in 1938. from the left it's my mother Susan (Boyce) McCallum who died in 1946 she is holding my eldest brother Jim McCallum. next to them are Paddy Cunningham's second wife (his first wife was Susan McGregg my granny's sister) Lizzie nee Telford she I'm told was formerly married to a Patrick McNamee and had a son by the same name I believe in Ardrossan. She said the last on the back row is Annie Hall but knows nothing further on her. Aunt Elsie Hand ( Hitchman ) really my mum's first cousin is at the front with her sister Cathy Hand (Wishart) a pair of gems.

As I said, Lizzie always had a bun for us when we visited after the Saturday matinee at the Lyric when they lived at the bottom of Glasgow Street above Ezzies cafe - next to Jock's Lodge.

bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hugh, the name Annie Hall rang a bell with me. Thought it was in relation to DanWatt. Bobby has confirmed that but we don’t know in what way. Bobby says there is a Connection with George O’Connor too.
Sure Geo or Sallymay be able to join the dots. May also have a connection to Ann Watt who came to Australia as a child with the Nuns.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks, Netta. The only Hall family I knew lived in Castle Road, in the three storey tenement that faced down Broadway. I'm wondering if Annie was the mother of the invalid young man who used to be put out on the landing each day in his wheelchair way back then in the early fifties.

I remember the Ann Watt you mentioned who came to Australia. She lived in the adjoining building in Castle Road as did Willie McGraw within the same family.

Just had a look in the Deaths in the ASH Database See this topic and found the following:

Watt Annie....12/06/1953....Castle Road, Ardrossan....D....nee Annie Hall
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hughie wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:38 am Thanks, Netta. The only Hall family I knew lived in Castle Road, in the three storey tenement that faced down Broadway. I'm wondering if Annie was the mother of the invalid young man who used to be put out on the landing each day in his wheelchair way back then in the early fifties.

I remember the Ann Watt you mentioned who came to Australia. She lived in the adjoining building in Castle Road as did Willie McGraw within the same family.

Just had a look in the Deaths in the ASH Database See this topic and found the following:

Sounds like that is Ann Watts mother, as Ann came to Australia after her Mum died and as she had health issues someone decided it would be better for her to be taken out to Australia by the nuns.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hughie wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:38 am Thanks, Netta.
Also found this too, Netta.
Hall Annie....12/06/1953....Castle Road, Ardrossan....D....wife of Nicholas Watt
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hugh, yes did mean to mention Nicky was AnnWatt’s dad. Nicky was Dan Watt’s brother.