Australian Magazine 3Ts Article

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Australian Magazine 3Ts Article

Post by Hughie »

This article sent to me by Maureen (Gallagher) Heaton. It's from "Ipswich's Own" a free 50 page magazine delivered weekly to over 31,000 homes in the city of Ipswich in Queensland, Australia.

Hughie in Oz
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

subject

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Hello Hugh.
Thanks for the paper and photo
it is great to see the scottish
Tradition Still going on.
Good to see Frank and his
sister and brother.
Best wishes, Ellen. :)
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

I printed the page about Ipswich to show Dad & almost straight away, the name "Gallagher" rang a bell with him. Would Frank, Maureen & Ned be any relation to John Gallagher who lived in a Saltcoats housing scheme in the late 1940's & was a painter & decorator. Dad met John about 1948 when he (John) came to work for Ardrossan Burgh painting squad for a while & they got on great together, partly at least because they had so much in common. Apparently they were the only two fully qualified tradesmen in the squad at the time. Also, a chap by the name of McArthur had been a former boss of John's & he was the same McArthur whose signature appears on Dad's trade certificate. Furthermore, John & Dad were evidently the only two ex-servicemen in the paint squad - Dad had served 6 years (Royal Scots & the Military Police).

Dad said it was sad the way things ended though as later while on a painting job at Ardeer John Gallagher was killed in an explosion. The painting squad gaffer (at least I think he was) was Jimmy Nicol who unfortunately (they didn't exactly get on very well) was Dad's brother-in-law (Uncle Jimmy's wife was one of my Mum's 2 sisters). Dad reckons Uncle Jimmy was a bit jealous of his friendship with John Gallagher but that's beside the point.

Anyway, just thought I'd enquire whether it's the same family :?:
Bob Bryden.