Air raid siren testing in Ardrossan in the 1970's

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Air raid siren testing in Ardrossan in the 1970's

Post by Mitchy »

I am positive that up until the early 70's, the air raid siren in Ardrossan was still tested on a regular basis. If that wasn't what it was, then it was something that sounded very much like it - not that I was around to hear it when it was used in earnest! Was it located on top of the Petrol Station at the top of Glasgow Street?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Air raid siren testing in Ardrossan in the 1970's

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy,

The sirens were located throughout the three towns and the system was activated from Saltcoats Police Station in Green Street. The mechanism had also been adapted to to receive the national three minute warning for nuclear attacks at which point, the public having been pre-warned in times of tension, would know to drop whatever it was they were doing and run, not that much good would have been derived. And, "yes", this activation was commonplace, certainly until circa 1970.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote:Mitchy,

The sirens were located throughout the three towns and the system was activated from Saltcoats Police Station in Green Street. The mechanism had also been adapted to to receive the national three minute warning for nuclear attacks at which point, the public having been pre-warned in times of tension, would know to drop whatever it was they were doing and run, not that much good would have been derived. And, "yes", this activation was commonplace, certainly until circa 1970.
Cheers P.T. I knew I could remember this happening. I always found it quite uncanny as the sound was so familiar from watching the many war films of that time. I seem to recall it quite often on a Saturday, when we were at my Grandparents in Ardrossan.

Regards,

Mitchy
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy,

11 o'clock on a Saturday morning was the standard test time.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote:Mitchy,

11 o'clock on a Saturday morning was the standard test time.
My memory just get's better and better!

Regards,

Mitchy
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes 11 a.m. Saturday morning was the time I remember the air raid siren at the Ardrossan Gasworks going off - you wouldn't believe how loud it was. The siren I recall was housed in the roof of the Gas works office which was on a service road between McDowall Avenue and the Ardrossan to Largs railway line - directly across the line from Eglinton School.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

So, Hugh, are you saying it went off in the 60s too, since you were in Aus in the 70s.
Netta
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Netta,

I remember them sounding it back in the mid to late fifties on a regular basis - always on a Saturday morning.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I was sure I remembered hearing the air raid siren quite often as I walked to school in the sixties, through and/or past the plantation. Even at quite an early age I knew the sound, because my Mum liked to watch " All our Yesterdays"; ( note for younger readers: a programme that showed old newsreels from 20 years before, so there was a lot about WW2 on it); but I couldn't think why they had it now, the best idea I came up with at a slightly older age was that they used the old siren down at the docks or something. I certainly wouldn't have had a clue if they'd set it going for real,and I don't suppose lots of other people would have either.
Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Down South,

What you have to remember is that Ardrossan Fire Station, I think I'm correct in saying, had a siren too. This was to alert part-time firemen, who were perhaps working outside, to report for duty. I have a vivid recollection of seeing the two window cleaners who operated in my street abandoning their ladders and running for their bicycles when it sounded one afternoon.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Wasn't the air raid siren also used by the fire brigade? Someone told me that the siren you could hear was to call the voluntary firemen if the full time guys were out on a shout and additional support was required!

Meg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I seem to remember in the late fifties etc. the sirens were tested but there were notices posted around the town when ever these tests were to happen.
Meekane