NON-SCOTTISH/BRITISH SURNAMES

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: NON-SCOTTISH/BRITISH SURNAMES

Post by Penny Tray »

For some reason, I know not what, the name Adrian Pllu sticks in my mind. Did he have red hair as a young man?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
misvic
New Poster
New Poster

Post by misvic »

I am still having a great time reading all the topics. The "Foreign" or "NON SCOTTISH NAMES" caught my eye.
My Grandparents were born in Lithuania. Their Name was Noviscus. They changed their name to Wallace. They lived in the Old Square then moved to Caledonian rd where I grew up.Christo's Mother, Annie Turkas, was my Mom's
best friend when they were single.

MISVIC
westcoaster
New Poster
New Poster

Post by westcoaster »

Penny Tray,
My Granny, God rest her, did live with us at #30. Commanded the chair next to the budgie to the right of the fireplace as you entered the living room. If anyone else sat in the chair the budgie used to do it's nut and spray you with seed. Don't remember nameplate with both names. Her Name was Sarah O'Hare Retzbach Cunningham. She outlived her first Husband (Charles Retzbach) and outlived the second husband (Hughie Cunningham), he was no relation to my Father, honest. Thanks for the photos, never seen these ones before, you may be right with what you suggest as to who's who. I'll give my mother your regards as per your PM and thanks to you for that.

Donna, I don't know if I have met you before? Thanks for the welcome to 3T's.
JammyDodger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JammyDodger »

Gerry, We have met a few times, but only briefly. My 'Gran' was Mrs Latta and my Aunt and Uncle were Mamie and Bill Morgan. Jacqui and I hung about with Susan Trainer and Mary Catherine Teggart, also from Rowanside. Donna
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

JammyDodger,

You've mentioned another Granny from Rowanside Terrace, Granny Latta - a fine wee woman. I have her in my mind about No. 50? Did she have a daughter that stayed with her? I have someone else from the house in my mind but I might be wrong.

Incidentally, did you identify Tommy and James Morgan in this Coronation street party photo?
Attachments
R3.jpg
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

PT, You are right, Adrian Pllu did have red hair
Alex
JammyDodger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JammyDodger »

Penny Tray wrote:JammyDodger,

You've mentioned another Granny from Rowanside Terrace, Granny Latta - a fine wee woman. I have her in my mind about No. 50? Did she have a daughter that stayed with her? I have someone else from the house in my mind but I might be wrong.

Incidentally, did you identify Tommy and James Morgan in this Coronation street party photo?
Hi PT, yes I recognised Tommy, not so sure of James, as he had moved away by the time I was born. My Gran had 2 daughters, Mamie and Agnes and a son James. My mum was actually at lodger with my gran until my mum got married, but as my gran was like a mum to my mum, I always called her Gran. She was one of the best, with a wicked sense of humour. Donna
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

JammyDodger,

James is second from the right in the front row. Tommy is immediately behind him. They're both dressed in the same style, blue blazers as I recall. I keep saying its both amazing and daft the things you remember in life. This is over 50 years ago and I remember the colour of the blazers.

There was a beautiful piece of grass where your Gran's and her neighbours lived and the boys, of course, used to play football there. One or two resident used to take exception to this but your Gran used to defend us. She would shout at the folk who shouted at us. She was a great character.

I obviously have a vague recollection of your Mum too and thus my reason for mentioning the lady who lived with her.
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Another Italian one for the list - Cecchini. John D
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
mark ferguson
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by mark ferguson »

hi thier
pllu is a flemish name and not from dutch either. it has plenty of spellings as well my gggg grandfather was called john plue who married margret scotland but thier children were called pllu and so the name has stuck thier. and they set home around the saltcoats area thier family history from thier is alot. we belieave that as we are protersants that we were pushed out of a few european countrys beacuse of this. we are still looking at ware john plue came from but i beleave it came threw france as i ahave seen a lot of la plue and then la being dropped once arriving in the uk , my cousin mary hamilton groffin nows more than i do as she has traced far more than i have. but my family roots are well truely in the 3 towns areas.

mark
hamilton
New Poster
New Poster

Post by hamilton »

My knowledge is that the Pllu's go back to the Spanish Armada. It appears that the Spanish were coming up between Ireland and Scotland and got shipwrecked only two survived one being a Pllu. I don't have much more information further back than that on the Pllu's. regards Mary
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The original post that was here relating to Lithuanians in Stevenston has been moved to Here
Last edited by Hughie on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: See body of post