WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Post by morag »

I'm taking it he's a fitba' player then? :roll: No' P.T., the other guy.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

He is a comedian Morag,but a big Rangers fan.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Excuse me Ladies,

Blood is thicker than watter!

I'm one of those peculiar football supporters. Ayrshire through and through. Funded by an evening paper round Somerset Park one week (AA bus, aff at Tam's Brig, up McCall's Avenue, right into Somerset Road, and through the first turnstiles to face the main stand); Rugby Park the next (A1 Bus, aff at Portland Street, doon South Hamilton Street, right into Rugby Road, and through the turnstiles to face the main stand). And depending on what was happening in the Junior World - Winton Park, Ardrossan; Campbell Park Saltcoats; Ardchoille and Ardeer Rec grounds, Stevenston. A real football supporter!

Ibrox, only occasionally, Parkhead not that I can remember, Fir Park and Easter Road, as I recall, for Texaco Cup matches again English opposition, and Hampden for Cup Finals, once, I think, in the 60's Rangers against Kilmarnock.

I was definitely at Hampden for the Celtic -v- Leeds European Cup match too. What a match.

And whatever I did on a Saturday I had to be back at Saltcoats Railway Station for the 6.20 pm arrival from Glasgow to pick up my 42 green Citizen and 18 pink Times, bus to Ardrossan, and then Dalry Road, Montfode Drive, Boydston Road, Rowanside Terrace, Linn Road, back into Dalry Road, Stanley Road, Cunninghame Road, Carrick Place, Cumbrae Terrace, Queen's Drive, back into Stanley Road, Beggs Terrace, Centenary Place, into Stanley Road again, St. Margaret's Road, St. Ninian's Drive, St, Margaret's Road again, Weir Road, St. Andrew's Road, Clyde Terrace, White Craig Road, Burns Terrace, Ashgrove Road, and hame.

So there!
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Boy, you were a busy wee fella! Wonder if I ever saw you at the Ardchoille games? I was a Killie supporter, local team plus I didn't care for the sectarianism of the top two, and the local teams especially the Thistle.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: I was definitely at Hampden for the Celtic -v- Leeds European Cup match too. What a match.
Me too - didn't see you there :-) I think that match produced one of the record crowds at Hampden - and if I remember rightly it was played there because Celtic Park was having the new lights fitted. You're right about the football. There were two wee Glesga bachles behind me - both about 5ft 1 - and their patter during the match kept me in fits - and on the way out I heard one say to the other "there's only wan way to beat an English team" and his pal asked "whit's that" - "TWICE" he answered. Never forget that comment.

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald has previously reported that Lord Louis Mountbatten landed at Ardrossan Harbour during 1944.

Anyone know which ship?
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Thomas Carlyle used the Ardrossan to Belfast ferry on numerous occasions. The following extract (from a letter written in August 1846) has him travelling North from Dumfries and waxing lyrical about Arran, before reaching Ardrossan ('bright moon on the sandy straggling scene').
I returned to Dumfries, took coach next morning for Ayr, impressive interesting drive all the way, wandered lonesome, manifoldly imagining, all afternoon, over Ayr and environs (Arran from the sea sand, in the hazy east wind nightfall, grand and grim. Twa Brigs, &c.). Ayr was holding some grand market; streets and inn had been chokefull during the sunny hours; in twilight and by lamplight become permeable enough, had not one's heart been so heavy. I stept into a small stationer's shop, and at his counter wrote a poor letter to my mother. Except two words there, and a twice-two at my inn, no speech further in Ayr. After dark, rail to Ardrossan (bright moon on the sandy straggling scene there), step on board the steamer for Belfast...
I'm still saving up for a signature.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

I mentioned under another topic that Rikki Fulton appeared in " Gaslight" at the Beach Pavilion.
what about Calum Kennedy, although he didn't just visit .
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

dunno if this counts but Gordon ramsay played in the rangers team that opened the floodlights at winton park in the early 90's

also early 90's all the big rave deejays and acts played the metro
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
Alexmac442
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Alexmac442 »

I used to kick a ball with Bobby Lennox of Celtic (that's when they had a fitba team!) at Dalry road Ardrossan years ago. Does Bobby visiting Ardrossan count as a famous visitor?
I remember the year after they won the European cup, they had to play either AC Milan or a team like that at Parkhead.
Now me being a blue nose and she wanted me to "change over" my Maw in Law got me a ticket which I put in my old green fishing anorak and subsequently lost it. Well Maw in law (to her dying day) did not believe I lost it but she gave me her ticket which she trusted to the old man only!
Well I did go to the game and they lost 2-1 so I got the blame for that as wel!!
Alex
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Aland,

Reluctantly (only because I find it difficult to pick up a newspaper or magazine without seeing his face)(and I'm not sure he merits the level of coverage he gets), I would need to accept Gordon Ramsay.

Alex,

Bobby Lennox is a famous 'son' of the Threetowns as opposed to a famous 'visitor' and to his tremendous credit I don't think he has ever sought to live outside the boundaries? Neither has his fame in the football world ever changed him personally.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

I saw Charlie Tully coming off the Belfast Boat at Ardrossan Harbour . This was after his playing days were over .