WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Post by Milda »

Yes,Penny Tray,I hadn't heard that story ,but that would be them.I am 62 now and I started going to see them when I was 18,I saw them loads of times in Scotland and then when I came over here I always went to see them when I could.It ended up my husband got to know them as well. When Jack got married again for the second time to Lil,a good while ago now ,I was at their wedding.I really love them both to bits. Milda
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Prince Charles landed in Auchenharvie park, by helicopter of the royal flight, it might have been 20- 22 years ago. I missed the landing but when I got there the helicopter was co-ordined off and the public was restricted of their movements by a tape. Charlie went along the gathering crowds for a chat, I did'nt get that close having to look after my 2 children but I did notice the M.I.B. taking a special interest in the procedings. He was whisked off to carry out his official duties, it was the opening of some kind of resource, could it have been the new Ardrossan library. :?:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hi Meg I remember the Queen and we
stood near the Iron bridge to see the
train going passed. now it could have been
the queen mother but I still think it was the
queen it was not long after she became queen
I think?
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

DoesJohnny Beattie qualify
as he attended a fancy dress
parade at Park Church ardrossanwhich raised
800 pounds i think it might have been in 1977 or there
abouts I have a photo of him with the kid's my son is in it
Maggie
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Maggie,

Johnnie Beattie, MBE - is ok by me - I doubt that anyone won't know of him.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I read somewhere that Kevin Spacey's sister in law lives in Ardrossan and he has visited quite a few times.

Meg
ps - saw Johnnie Beattie at the Gaiety last year - he is sooooooo funny. The Gaiety is now closed by the way - it is owned by South Ayrshire Council and they say it is too expensive to run. What a shame, I love that wee theatre.

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy,

You seem to have a knowledge of Hunterston. I had it in my mind that ALEKSEI KOSYGIN, when he was at the height of his power as Premier of the USSR, visited there and then passed through the Three Towns en route to Troon where he lunched prior to attending the Kilmarnock versus Rangers match at Rugby Park? Google has proved that the Troon lunch/Kilmarnock football match aspects definitely occurred on 27 February 1967 but I haven't been able to confirm the Hunterston bit. Maybe I dreamt it. Any idea?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hi Meg I think his wife comes from Ardrossan
and her Mother still lives there Kevin there
was a documentry or something like that
on TV a few year's ago
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Mitchy wrote:For the record Hunterston 'B' was opened by Sir Monty Finnieston, who incidentally was responsible for getting the Iron Ore/Coal Terminal built at Hunterston while Chairman of British Steel. Mitchy
Completely off at a diagonal - Sir Monty was also Chairman of a company I worked for in Beith, Future Technology Systems Limited, and I got to know him very well - often transporting him back to Glasgow Airport after board meetings etc. What a LOVELY man - and a real star when it came to networking for FTS. The link in with Ardrossan was I had to stop off at home when taking him back to the airport to get a book I promised him. So, Sir Monty visited Ardrossan at least once I know about :lol:

Meg
leprikon59
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by leprikon59 »

Post by little plum » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 am
Prince Charles landed in Auchenharvie park, by helicopter of the royal flight, it might have been 20- 22 years ago He was whisked off to carry out his official duties, it was the opening of some kind of resource, could it have been the new Ardrossan library. :?:
LP thats the only time i have seen charlieboy in the flesh he was opening a new business/resource centre in the former co op buildings in glasgow st.since that ive seen his wee sis at the vikingar and his weebro eddie at eggy park. Ive also got a very vague memory of his maw waving to me on the high rd at jacks park.BUT since were talking about famous people does anyone remember midge ure/slick/ultravox.at ardrossan civic centre .or the Bay city rollers playing ardeer rec and staying in the eglinton hotel only a few months before they went global.
For some scenic photos of Ardrossan & the West Coast click here http://www.youtube.com/leprikon59
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimMcCub »

I remember the Bay City Rollers before they became really big played the Ardeer halls in the 70's I'm sure Slik also appeared as well .The radio 1 road show broadcast from there I don't remember who presented the show maybe someone else does . I think a band called The dead end Kids who had a couple of minor hits also appeared . I know some other bands who had varying degrees of success also played gigs in Ardeer halls as well but their names escape me . I also had an encounter with Frankie Miller ( Darlin ) in the Wee Store years ago just before he had his big hit the afore mentioned Darlin . Apparently he had relatives who lived in Saltcoats at the time. Don't know if these qualify as being really famous but I thought so at the time !

:D
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

[quote="leprikon59"]Post by little plum » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 am
Prince Charles landed in Auchenharvie park, by helicopter of the royal flight, it might have been 20- 22 years ago He was whisked off to carry out his official duties, it was the opening of some kind of resource, could it have been the new Ardrossan library. :?:
LP thats the only time i have seen charlieboy in the flesh he was opening a new business/resource centre in the former co op buildings in glasgow st.since that ive seen his wee sis at the vikingar and his weebro eddie at eggy park. Ive also got a very vague memory of his maw waving to me on the high rd at jacks park.BUT since were talking about famous people does anyone remember midge ure/slick/ultravox.at ardrossan civic centre .or the Bay city rollers playing ardeer rec and staying in the eglinton hotel only a few months before they went global.[/quote]

Did Charlieboy no visit Saltcoats to open a resource centre in Green Street

gerv