WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Post by Penny Tray »

What famous people have either visited or passed through the Three Towns?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Post by Meg »

I remember the Queen and Chookie Embra coming through Ardrossan to go on and open Hunterston A station (at least I think that was why) all the schools brought their kids out on to the street and we had to wave flags!

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I think the Queen and Duke might qualify a couple of times. I also remember them arriving at Ardrossan Town Station in Princes Street circa 1954/55 and then driving off towards South Beach. I can't recall where they were going. Similar to your experience my class from Winton School was outside the station, each of us suitably provided with a flag.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Well they are famous to me and I love them and know them personally,Tom and Jack Alexander. The Troggs played in the Pavillion and Peter and Gordon played in the Craigs and I'm sure there are plenty more.Yeah just remembered Lulu played in the Ingledene just before she got famous.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Milda wrote: Peter and Gordon played in the Craigs
Milda, were you at the Radio Scotland Clan Ball (around 1967) where Peter and Gordon were top of the bill???

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Milda,

Spot on. I recognise everyone you mention. If not 'famous' in the sense of the definition they were/are certainly celebrities and that counts. At the time Lulu was playing the Ingledene I was convinced I saw her driving a Hillman Imp left into Eglinton Road from Glasgow Street, heading I thought for the Dalry Road on her way back to Glasgow. I hadn't seen her at the Hotel but recognised her (maybe) from an STV television show that she was just beginning to break through on. I can't remember the name of the show. Later in life I actually met and talked with Tom and Jack Alexander at a charity show they were doing for senior citizens and they were tremendous down to earth individuals who put on a great show. And they've lasted the test of time. Still going I think?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Penny Tray wrote: At the time Lulu was playing the Ingledene I was convinced I saw her driving a Hillman Imp left into Eglinton Road from Glasgow Street, heading I thought for the Dalry Road on her way back to Glasgow.
Dont think it would have been her Penny - "Shout" her first successful record was made when she was just 15 - a bit too young to drive.

Meg
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Och well, maybe her mammy drapped her aff!
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi Meg
To be honest ,I can't remember when I saw them,it could well have been that ,because,I didn't come over to Ireland till '69 .Probably had a few carlsberg specials and blackcurrant. Milda
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Penny Tray,I didn't see Lulu,I just knew she had been there. Yes Tom and Jack are still on the go ,they had their 50th. anniversary last year.They are very nice men and never got above themselves.Milda
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Milda,

My description of Tom and Jack was "down to earth" and that's exactly how I found them when I met them.

I can tell you a story about them too which is 100% true. They'll probably not remember but I haven't forgotten it. They were playing Largs one night 1964/65, the Barrfields I think, and had finished their show and about to go home when they became aware that a crowd had gathered outside a hall in West Kilbride in the mistaken belief that they were going to perform there. Someone had clearly spread a rumour to this effect. The police, who knew this wasn't the case, explained this to the crowd who either quietly dispersed or continued into the event that WAS already scheduled to take place. Tom and Jack however, having been made aware of this situation telephoned the Police and made it absolutely clear that if the circumstances were causing the Constabulary any difficulty or causing undue upset to any of their own fans they would make an appearance at the wee hall in West Kilbride and free of charge contribute to the evening's entertainment. That made them STARS in my book. As it turned out the police amicably resolved the situation and their presence wasn't felt necessary.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Meg Gordon wrote:I remember the Queen and Chookie Embra coming through Ardrossan to go on and open Hunterston A station (at least I think that was why) all the schools brought their kids out on to the street and we had to wave flags!

Meg
Meg,

It was the Queen Mother who opened Hunterston 'A' - and no I didn't work there at the time :wink:
So LIzzie and Philip must have been on another mission when you saw them!

For the record Hunterston 'B' was opened by Sir Monty Finnieston, who incidentally was responsible for getting the Iron Ore/Coal Terminal built at Hunterston while Chairman of British Steel.

Mitchy