How you found threetowners - Topic for March 2009

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

How you found threetowners - Topic for March 2009

Post by Hughie »

This month's topic : How you found threetowners

Was it a friend or perhaps a search engine that pointed you to us?
Was it word of mouth - tell us how you found threetowners.

*Our monthly topic is a tool to promote conversation on subjects we haven't touched on before or very often*
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: How you found threetowners - Topic for March 2009

Post by gnyaff »

I found out through Jimmy and Irene Dickie in 1999. It was the day of our wee man's Christening and Jimmy was the Godfather. During the course of the large bevvy and banquet that followed ( Incidentally, paid for by taxpayers money I might add) there was talk of Saltcoats and when we lived together down Quay Street and the mischief we got up to as kids. I went searching for the Threetowns website shortly after that and found it.

Wee Boney.

Now that I come to think of it, the wee man will be 10 this year, its about time we had another one. I wonder if I can get more money from the government for this one?

Wee Boney
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

When I first started timidly using the computer to surf the net, I was keen to find any sites related to Saltcoats or Ayrshire; but I had to guess at the addresses. I was struggling in vain to find the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald,little knowing that Saltcoats had been disgracefully downgraded out of the title, when I stumbled across 3T under "Ardrossan and Saltcoats" in a Google search ( my very first attempt at one of those! ) -and couldn't believe my luck as I began to explore its wonders. I stumbled into the Forum too, and it took me a little while to find my way back in there and realise I was allowed to read it without being a member. I must admit I've been around some littlewhile, trawling through ancient posts, learning lots of things I never knew about the Three Towns and being reminded of others I'd forgotten, before I finally took the plunge and joined. From what I've found there must be very few localities that have a site quite as thriving and endlessly fascinating as Threetowners-so take a bow all of you !
Susan
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

I learned about the ThreeTowners website in an article in The Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald on 12 May 2000. Since then, it has gone from strength to strength. Thanks for great idea, Hughie, and to all who contribute.
George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here's the article, George. The residence address and e-mail address are no longer current.
ASHeraldMay2000.jpg
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

I found Threetowners whilst searching for history and photo's of Stevenston. I'm thankful that I found it too as it is now a good part of my life. I usually visit the forum every day and enjoy reading the stories and anecdotes of all you lovely members. It's just great Hughie, thanks a lot :D
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

I was told about it in 2001 via a School friend and can honestly say it has been great. I am not a great contributer just nip in now and again with my comments on something, but it has been a good way of keeping in touch with the 3T's and then seeing a name or photos from the past brings back memories.

Anne
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I can't remember if it was my cousin or brother in law, that was when it was the old site and the posts came automatically to your mailbox. When Hughie upgraded I shied away for a while, not being too computer wise and not spending much time online. As has been said, it's become quite a part of my life too, those of us far flung miss our hometowns and families, not to mention the distinct sense of humour :roll: :lol: and 3T's really helps fill that gap. :D
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

someone in my work years ago on the old forum
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

It was my husband that discovered
the 3twns we had bought a computer under
my sufurence as I was connected to them
for years and he used to search the sight's
I am glad he did. alas he is gone now
but a least I can get on the computer :)
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I found the (old) site when I was helping a friend look for Ayrshire connections to E.A. Poe, the Galts and the Allans. He was researching the subject for a book he plans to write.
Irene :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
tartentumshi
Settling In
Settling In

Post by tartentumshi »

One of the first things I did (shortly after taking the plunge and buying my pc) was to type in 'Saltcoats' and 'Auchenharvie' in the hope of finding some old pictures. I'm glad I did, and I indeed found some. :D
Sausages are the boys!