auchenharvie house school

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

auchenharvie house school

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

hello all, on our grants meeting many things were discussed,among them auchenharvie house,when part of kyleshill school was burnt down i and many others went to auchenharvie house as it was used as our school,i wonder how many other threetowners went to school there,there were two cannons at the front door,now when the building was getting demolished one of the cannons ended up in a garden in stevenston as a centre piece, they guy whose garden it is in even had cement cannon balls made,(painted them and the cannon black) and stacked them in a pyramyd,it was quite a feature,im not sure if the cannon is still there,ill maybe go an have a wee look in next couple of days, as for the other cannon well i dont know what happened to it probaly got sold for scrap,another feature i remember of those days was the lovely green flat lawn to the side of the big house,i think actualy it was a bowling green,i can remember it as being lush green cut short and dead flat,i did once post a photo of the house,taken from the top of the hill where the old steps were,i cant remember if it was on this site or our old one,im sure if there are any replies to this post teachers names will come up.well the only one i can remember was miss reid im sure she stayed up about the old high road somewhere,as she went home every day for her dinner and she headed up that way.
James Barr (brvhrtjimmy)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: auchenharvie house school

Post by morag »

I loved the old Auchenharvie estate James, remember walking past the stables and the raised garden rock wall. The bowling green as you say was kept in perfect condition. Sometimes we St. John's pupils were walked across there for school sports day - a rare treat!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Aileen Shaw
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aileen Shaw »

Hi
I faintly remember the Auchenharvie House School I am sure my aunt went to the school Netta McMillan (McWhirter) and there are a photo in the 3ts, about the canon it was cared for at 7 Kerelaw Ave in Stevenston, Uncle Bill Fulton got many years ago and put it in his back garden he loved it and he was so interested in Stevenston's history,people would come from miles to see the cannon and take photographs of it, sadly Bill passed away in May I don't know if the canon is still there, or it has be moved to one of the families he had 7 children. I will try and contact one of the family and find out about it.
Aileen
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

hi Aileen sorry to here about bill, i used to see him regular in saltcoats carrying his wee yorkie on his arm,you were talking to alan when tom.bobby,little plum,and myself spoke about auchenharvie house and the cannon.
James Barr (brvhrtjimmy)
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

I can remember when i played football for the 1st Stevenston BBs, we used to change at Auchenharvie where the stables used to be. It was a beautiful place in those days. Sadly no longer around.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi B.D.
I remember the stables well with it's small court yard, I also used it for the football and a judo class. Do you remember the small row of buildings opposite, one of which housed the towns stray dogs. The whole area should have come under a conservation order to maintain some character to the town. Some years later my mate decided to get himself a dog from the rescue. We discovered at that time the kennels were located at the big sandstone house which sat in it's own grounds along from the railway station in Stevenston. We were told that if a stray had,nt been claimed within 7 days it was put down, the one he picked was a lucky dog. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

This is Auchenharvie school.
auchenharvie house school2 (2)-vert.jpg
What a asset this would have been to the town. :cry:
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi LP,

I went to Judo classes in Auchenharvie around 1960. The guy who gave the lessons lived in Schoolwell St. in Stevenston. Does anybody remember his name.

JD.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

John Donnelly wrote:Hi LP,

I went to Judo classes in Auchenharvie around 1960. The guy who gave the lessons lived in Schoolwell St. in Stevenston. Does anybody remember his name.

JD.
Was it Eddie Ainsworth ? or maybe wullie Burns.
Idiot - seeks village.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Chriso,

I think it was Eddie Ainsworth. It wasn't Wullie. I knew Wullie well, - was at school with him. Was Ainsworth fairly small, very well-built with almost white hair? That was the guy I remember. He would be about 70-ish today.

JD.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

John Donnelly wrote:Hi Chriso,

I think it was Eddie Ainsworth. It wasn't Wullie. I knew Wullie well, - was at school with him. Was Ainsworth fairly small, very well-built with almost white hair? That was the guy I remember. He would be about 70-ish today.

JD.
I just spoke to Fergie Fulton who was into karate in the sixties and he said Eddie Ainsworth was the only guy he knew that took judo at Auchenharvie. Hope this helps

Chriso
Idiot - seeks village.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Chriso,

The name Ainsworth jogs the memory. I'm sure it was him. Thanks for the info.

JD.