Ice Cream Bikes

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ice Cream Bikes

Post by Big T »

Just the other day something came to mind. Does anyone remember the guys who would sell ice cream from a bike. I can picture it now the fridge on wheels. I think that it was a 3 wheeler with a handle on the fridge part for steering. Not a very good description but I'm sure someone can explain it better.

Tommy
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

ice cream men

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi everyone ,Hi Big T,are we on the right forum,we're not showing any photos.but I do remember the guys on bikes selling ice cream.The one I remember that had a bike,a three wheeler, was Amos Gonella from Argyle Rd. Forum member Westend Cafe will know who I mean.Come to think of it I think the Westend had one of them bikes too ,all the best Sam
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Hi Big T and Sam
A photograph of the ice cream bike outside the West End Cafe. I can't indentify which of my uncles are photgraphed beside the bike but in the background in the doorway my Uncle Bertie Cavani is standing.
The bike would also have been used to transport ice cream from the cafe to ice cream huts along the promenade.

Amos Gonella was married to my Aunt Ada - I don't know whether or not they had an ice cream bike - they certainly made great ice cream!

Regards - John D
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

ice cream bikes

Post by wellparkno9 »

Amos Gonella certainly did make great ice cream, but does any body remember his FISH SUPPERS,they were smashing just as good as Reids
in Stevenston ,I could go wan the noo.Sam
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Hi Sam - your right, Amos was a perfectionist when it came to his fish suppers. It didn't matter how long the queue was our how long you had to wait he wouldn't take the fish and chips out until they were perfectly cooked.

John D
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ice Cream Bikes

Post by Big T »

Thanks John D . I knew someone would come up with info but a Photo that was a BIG Bonus.

Tommy