kipper house /saltcoats harbour

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
dardanelles11
Settling In
Settling In

kipper house /saltcoats harbour

Post by dardanelles11 »

kipperhouse.jpg
this is a print of the old kipper house at saltcoats harbour,in responce to a query from jim McCreadie. it burnt to the ground probably about 1910 and was never rebuilt
hughie gourlay quay st/ perth wa
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

KIPER HOUSE / SALTCOATS HARBOU

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Many thanks Hughie. I notice the artist name as "Workman" in the bottom right-hand corner. My great uncle James McCreadie married a Jessie Baird Workman of Caley Road. Were she and the artist related? I'll have to find out now!

Ring for a chat, you'll find me in the phone book.

Yours aye

Jim McCreadie
Kardinya
WA
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

KIPPER HOUSE / SALTCOATS HARBOUR

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Hughie
Regarding my previous post, Jessie was the daughter of R S (Robert Spier) Workman. North Ayrshire Museum in Manse Street are hosting an exhibition next year of works, amongst them his.

Jim
dardanelles11
Settling In
Settling In

kipper house

Post by dardanelles11 »

hi jim
your research is certainly showing results. and the exhibition is definately an excuse for a wee trip hame, after all they need a family rep at the exhibition.
good luck hughie
rosebank
New Poster
New Poster

Re: kipper house /saltcoats harbour

Post by rosebank »

My wife owns the original water colour painting of this print.
We recently moved house and found this one together with one other RS Workman paintings in original frames, amongst our "junk".
It belonged to her late grandmother, Margaret Allan (nee Hogarth of Saltcoats) who died around 1970, laterly of West Kilbride.
I have tried to do some research into the artist without much luck. Any information would be great, anyone any idea of a possible value of thie painting?
I am from Largs, we now live in Aberdeen.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Hi rosebank
Have sent you a PM. Robert Workman was no mean water-colourist but what value his works have is an enquiry for an expert. Perhaps, "art-department" of a University?

Jim McCreadie
Fremantle
W.A.
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

Hi Rosebank, I have come accross 2 paintings by R S Workman, at Anita Mannings auctions in glasgow both had sale estimates of between £100 and £150 and both made slightly more than the upper estimate , I was told harbour scenes of the west coast of scotland are becomming more desirable . You may be able to trace these paintings on the archives in her web site , both were mid and late last year , one was of Girvan harbour and the other of Saltcoats harbour showing the smoke house so probably pre 1905 unless painted by memory,

The smoke house burned down on the last day of February 1905 , at the time it was owned by the Murray brothers and was managed by Michael Murray's son John (slade) Murray , it was decided that it was not worth rebuilding the property as the smoke house was not doing well financially . They transfered all kippering to a smoke house which I think was at St ninians point on the Isle of Bute ? , it may have been owned by the Reids another fishing company in Saltcoats
rosebank
New Poster
New Poster

Post by rosebank »

Dear WMH,
Thank you so much for the postingand information. I have so far drawn a blank everywhere else I have tried for a valuation.
Gary
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Gary »

Would like to join the conversation as, as of yesterday, I am the proud owner of two RS Workman watercolours which I rescued from a charity shop in Carlisle. To find one Workman is lucky, to find two is very, very fortunate.
One is the original watercolour painting of which the sketch of Saltcoats harbour is taken. The other is a seascape which features a derelict Salt cottage.He exhibited for the RSA in Saltcoats in 1883 so these paintings might well have been painted for this occasion.
Both small watercolours are in very good condition, though the frames are very ordinary. I have emailed the local museum to see if they can tell me anything more about them. I'm not sure if I can attach photographs of the pictures on this site as I've just joined. I shall follow any other comments on this thread with interest. It would be fitting if they could be shown in the museum/gallery in Saltcoats.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Gary, Welcome to threetowners. You are most welcome to add such images. You can click on the attachment button which is under the post you are compiling and from there you can add a couple of images. There is a practice topic for members Here if you feel the need.
Gary
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Gary »

This is the first watercolour with the Kipper House.
Attachments
IMG_20191107_202328_compress76.jpg
Gary
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Gary »

And this watercolour has a derelict building. Is this one of the Salt cottages?
Attachments
IMG_20191107_202248_compress19.jpg