bakers shops in Saltcoats 1950-s

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

talking the other night about how many bakers there were in the town.
Can anybody shed any light on this.?I have counted 16 but cant remember
the names of 3 of them .Im not counting any of the 2 Candy Bars as they were not there till the 60-s. After we get them all ,we can go on to Cafe-s.
So get your thinking caps on. Does it no make your mouth water thinking
about Herdmans pies or hot Howies rolls ,all the best Sam
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Hi Sam

Did you count MacPhersons at the corner of Eglinton Street and Windmill Street? They had a bakery next door to the shop. I remember going there for the rolls early in the morning before the shop was open and being fascinated by the machine that made the doughnuts. Does anyone else remember the model cow that stood in the window? When they closed in Eglinton Street I believe it went to the shop in Caley Road. Is it still there I wonder?

Howies rolls were very special think that they coated them in egg to get that crispy finish. The Howie brothers and their sister were our neighbours.

John D
knxyl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Bakers in the past

Post by knxyl »

I remember some bakers but not 16.
There was McKay at the corner of Hamilton St., now Tortolanos. They had super meringues, but also made a rump steak paste which made great sandwiches. They had a shop in Largs, too.
Next came Cavani's cafe, then Smith the baker who made good plain bread with black and white crusts. We used to steal bits off it on the way home.
Further down was Thomson where we'd join a queue for tattie scones.
There were four that I remember in Dockhead St. Gibson, Nelson, and McAllister. Gibson had good teabread and Mc Allisters Swiss tarts and other wee cakes were to die for. At the corner of Green St.(?) was Ross's Dairy where you could watch the soda scones being made.
I remember Howie's rolls (who doesn't?) and Herdman's pies, also MacPherson's Dairy with the cow in the window. There was another baker in Windmill St. whose name I forget --my mother preferred McPherson's so I didn't go there.
The Ardrossan Co-op Bakery cart used to come round . My favourites from it were cream sponges and jam sandwich biscuits. Don't forget Murchies in Ardrossan with their wonderful cakes.
These memories must be either pre-war or pre-rationing. Margaret
joantoyboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

bakers in saltcoats

Post by joantoyboy »

the other bakery in windmill st., owen kelly owned it was next door to his wife hilda., s fruit shop, then there was maules next door to napiers. does that help any.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Dont remember McKays being in Tortollano-s shop or Smiths. The way I
mind it was,in Hamilton St. BLACKS then THOMSONS,inWindmill ST.you
had McPhersons, Owen Kellys, then into Dockhead ST. Gibsons ,Mauls,
McAllisters,Nelsons, Ross-s Dairy, Herdmans, then into Countess St. there
was Howies,the one in Canal St.I dont remember its name ,but Terry Erskine had it as a barbours shop after that.At the foot of Raise St. there was Gray-Taylors ,in Springvale St. was Millers at the top right hand side.
An other one in Raise ST. was Thorburns later to be the Olympic Cafe
In Adams Ave. there was one ,I think it was called Irvines. Later on in the 60-s I vaguely remember McKays but in Dockhead ST. somewhere.
all the best Sam.