new forums

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

new forums

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

im a wee bit dissapointed by the lack of interest in the new forums,i think if it does not pick up then i feel our group could go into rapid decline.
jim barr
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

new forums

Post by elvis1913 »

Hi Jim, could you be a bit more specific re. the forums? I was thinking we were doing great. In what sense are we not showing enough interest? I think the new forums are an added bonus. cheers Josephine.
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Hi Jim - I used to receive an email copy of each posting when the group was in it's previous guise and yes it does feel as if their are fewer postings than before. But that may just be because you dont view them all at once as previously.

I know that many people like to view and read the posts rather than post themselves and if you look at the number of views of each topic then that looks healthy enough.

Perhaps Hugh can tell us how many of the members from the old site have migrated across to the new one. I am sure over time more will join us as many members of the other site may only have been occasional contributers/readers.

I am sure that there is plenty of life left in the Threetowners.

Regards - John D
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

re new forums

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i replied directy to josephines question, basicly what i said was the old site had in excess of 300 members only 80odds have transgressed to here,if i am right(which isnt very often lol)u dont have to be a member here to read posts, but u need to b a member to contribute a post, and if a lot of folk do not transfer then thats potential people who might put an odd post or more lost and that is how i feel our group might decline.
jim barr.
jim cochrane
Settling In
Settling In

New Forums

Post by jim cochrane »

I tend to agree that the new system will pick up. It's early days and it took me a bit of time and a few efforts to get into it. But I still wander in most days to see who's rabbiting on about what. And you can pick and choose the topics which are of most interest to you without having to go through the rest although I usually do that anyway eventually.

JKC
Frank Gallagher
Settling In
Settling In

Re: new forums

Post by Frank Gallagher »

brvhrtjimmy wrote:

im a wee bit dissapointed by the lack of interest in the new forums,i think if it does not pick up then i feel our group could go into rapid decline.
jim barr

Frank Wrote : 22/01/2005 ,

G'day brvhrt Jimmy,

First up let me congratulate you on your moniker 'Braveheart Jimmy' ...
Absolutely brilliant combination pal " FREEDOM ! " " SCOTLAND ! "
personifies the international conception o' a Scotsman . ( ten oot a ten )

Noo , regarding yer wee bit dissapointment issue ... ( as per above ) :roll:

A quick tally o' the statistics ... postings/views/replies/
since the inaugaral kick aff o' the new forums 01/01/2005

Reveals :
1) In the first 21 days o' the new forums over all ... there has been
( not including the temporary practice forum )
389 Postings
An average o' 18 posts per day .

2) Posting views to date ...
Threetowners Forum : 2,869 ( 60 replies )
McBlether Lounge : 2,544 (71 replies )
Monthly Topic : (one per month ) 681 views . ( 17 replies )
Family and Geanology : 661 views ( 3 replies )
Photo Albums : 1238 views ( 15 replies )

(and personally I have 21 Private messages in my 'Savebox' ...)

Jimmy , if my assessment o' the facts are correct , then I suggest ...
were no' in bad shape at a' fur the first 3 weeks o' the New Forums efter a' !

I would be interested to hear other members comments .
As Hughie said from the offset ... We'll gie it a run for a couple o' months , then I will assess the success or no' o' the new style ... and confer with the group members re : The course o' action tae adopt ...

Take Care Braveheart Jimmy
Hae a Magic Day
Frank G.
Last edited by Frank Gallagher on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
" AVANICEDAY " Frank G.
1) Hae a squint in the mirror an' gie yersel' a smile , If ye smile back yer no' deid!
2) Gie some'dy a hug ! Kiss a wean or an auld person ! and say a wee prayer for some'dy ye'd like tae strangle!
salgeouk
Settling In
Settling In

New Forum

Post by salgeouk »

Hi All, I finally got around to sorting all this new stuff out!!! Looks great! I think it's good we don't get the posts direct now anyway. There are so many viruses and hassles now with the WWW. It's just as easy to check it out on site. Well Done Hughie. Sorry I never got to it sooner. Sally O xxx
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Hi Frank - good morning to you - I see that you are a bit of a statistician - it must have been modesty that prevented you from mentioning that, Hughie aside, you have the title of most "prolific poster." Well done and keep up the good work as your post have quality as well as quantity.

John D
Frank Gallagher
Settling In
Settling In

"westendcafe"
Hi Frank - good morning to you
keep up the good work ...

John D

Frank G. Wrote : 25/01/2005

G'day John ,
Thanks for the kind words ! .....

I made a connection with three key observations on your posting ...

a) Wer'e both Saltcoats ex-pats

b) You reside in Chesire the Midlands of England ... I lived next door in Nottingham for over a year 1960/1961 ... I had an absolutely magic time there ...

c) Your 'non-de plume' " westendcafe " Brings back nostalgic memories from the late 1950's ...
Every man an' his dug congregated in the Melbourne Cafe ... aka :(The Goldfish Bowl ) oan Sunday nights especially ...
Doon the Monkey Walk ...
whenever a' hid a clandestine rendezvous wae a wee threetowner beauty, it wis aye Cavannis West End Cafe , right up in the back corner near the juke box ...
Where we could whisper sweet nothings tae the strains o' Pat Boone singing " Love Letters in the Sand "
o' the romance o' it a' John ... me a' dolled up! feelin' like Elvis the Great !
an' lookin like Coco the Clown ! ...

" Chattin' up the talent wae ma irrisistable patter ! the last o' the big spenders ...
" Wid ye like anither bovril an' a cheese sao darlin' ? "

Noo a' ask ye , how could any civilized wumman resist that !
Must hiv drove them tae hysterical distraction ! ...

Ah've got wan question fur ye John , ( a hope nane o' they wummin ur readin this post ...) wuz it us that were the monkeys ??? Goodnight Pal
God Bless
Frank G.
Last edited by Frank Gallagher on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
" AVANICEDAY " Frank G.
1) Hae a squint in the mirror an' gie yersel' a smile , If ye smile back yer no' deid!
2) Gie some'dy a hug ! Kiss a wean or an auld person ! and say a wee prayer for some'dy ye'd like tae strangle!
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

Hi Frank

I wonder if the reason you had such a "magic" time in Nottingham had anything to do with the fact that the number of women there far outweighs the male population - and of course some of the native men have been known to wander the forest in green tights.

My neighbours here in Chester would be aghast if they knew you had transfered them to the Midlands - a hundred miles might be not but a step in the wide open spaces of Oz but on this wee island of ours it makes a big difference.

You sure know how to show the ladies a good time - a cup of Bovril in the West End - a master at work.

Gaun yersel' Elvis

John D
Frank Gallagher
Settling In
Settling In

"westendcafe" Wrote :

Hi Frank
I wonder if the reason you had such a "magic" time in Nottingham had anything to do with the fact that the number of women there far outweighs the male population
John D

Frank G. Reply :

G'day John ,

Aye yer spot oan wae the milage difference , a couple o' months ago ,
a nipped up the road tae see my daughter ( a round trip of 1700 miles )

Aye an' yer spot oan again wae the ratio difference fae the women tae guys ( 7 to 1 tae be precise ) pure paradise fur an innocent wee 20 year old scotsman ... ah'll no' be devulgin' any secrets ... suffice tae say ......

" The conquerin' hero returned fae England a wiser man ! "

A managed tae get ma ugly heid in a movie called " Saturday Night and Sunday Morning " Starring Albert Finney , when a worked in the Raliegh Cycle Factory ... ( ma 10 seconds o' fame ! )
Nottingham was the European Centre for Light Industry back then ...

My Address was 38 Nottingham Rd Sherwood Rise ... directly opposite the abode ...
O' the infamous Merry Men in green tights ...

I wish a had a quid for every time I got drunk in the " Ye old Trip to Jerusalem " the oldest pub in England , built underneath Nottingham Castle

I had the privilige o' catchin' up wae Frank Ifield back then !!!

My how the years change a'body ...This photie wis taken last year ...

A Couple O' Auld Franks (Gallagher/Ifield)

" I Remember too distant bells ... and stars that fell ... like the rain ...
out of the blue -ue - ue - ue" .....................................

Take Care John
God Bless
Frank G.
Last edited by Frank Gallagher on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
" AVANICEDAY " Frank G.
westendcafe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by westendcafe »

G'day Frank - Happy Australia Day to you and all the others in the Threetowners Ozzie contingent.

John D