Houses sinking in Sharphill Road, Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Houses sinking in Sharphill Road, Saltcoats

Post by Meg »

Seemingly underground mines have caused problems with houses starting to sink last night. Story covered in the Daily Record.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scot ... g-25072240

Meg
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Houses sinking in Sharphill Road, Saltcoats

Post by Bruce »

Walked past it earlier today. Road still closed to cars, but pavement re-opened.

Two blocks (so 8 flats) evacuated and fenced off. Police, Fire, Gas and Electricity people were the yesterday, gas supplies disconnected. You can see cracks on the gable end of one building, and the front of the other. Guy working on site said it was worse at back.

Structural Engineers from Coal Authority surveying.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Friends and family involved a scary time for all. I was woken at 5am by my daughter and granddaughter in a state of distress having had to evacuate their home. No one hurt was a positive but only because someone needed to go to the loo and saw a large crack on the ceiling , shortly after that twelve families were evacuated. (This included nearby building) Looks as if two of the blocks of four will have to be demolished. I can’t see any other outcome, too far gone. Coal board engineer say the cause is shallow mine workings of which they don’t have details of. The road is blocked at the moment and will be for some time.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meekan,

You came immediately to mind when I heard of these circumstances, unaware that your daughter's family also lived in Sharphill Road. It sounds like the proverbial nightmare, and presumably residents can't return meantime for essential clothing, medicines, valuables, etc. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution. Glad everyone is safe though.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Demolition machinery sitting outside the houses tonight.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Sadly, demolition of the first of these houses started today. I'm told that both blocks (8 homes) will be coming down.