Three Towns Mugs - 2009

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Three Towns Mugs - 2009

Post by Hughie »

Having a look back at the three towns mugs from 2009. Went looking for the author of the poem on the Saltcoats mug - just a quick search. Only place I seem to find a reference to a Sam Noble was here on threetowners - though no mention of a poem.

100 YEARS AGO on January 2, 1903
ROB ROY was produced on two evenings last week by the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Musical and Dramatic Society. Mr Jacobs was Rob Roy and the cast included Messrs John Anderson, Thomas Buchanan, Henry Magee, Sam Noble, Charles Magee, Carruthers, John Bain, WG Smith, John Deacon, Thomas G Anderson, William McMurtrie, John H Kerr. Masters Fred Morrison, Archibald McPherson and Alf McPherson, Misses Kate Brady, Jessie Becket. Peggy Ramage, S Dunkeld and S Quinn.
Saltcoats
Baile an t-Salainn

Oh Saltcoats, little grey town, sweet jewel of the Clyde,
How oft my yearning gaze I throw across the heaving tide.
To where, encircled by the hills, and veiled in misty foam,
There lies, that sweetest thing on earth, the spot my heart calls home.
Alas! That not in present joys we satisfaction find.
But, when we leave the scenes we love and cast a look behind.
Old haunts, old forms, old faces clear in memory's glass we see ~
Old Saltcoats, little grey town, my heart is locked in thee.

Sam Noble
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Three Towns Mugs - 2009

Post by Hughie »

Thanks to member hahaya2004 (Irene) for the following:

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, Friday 18th December 1908

“The Love Songs of Scotland.'
Lecture by Mr Samuel Noble.

The Lesser Town Hall, Saltcoats, was well filled Wednesday evening, when Mr Samuel Noble gave a lecture on “The Love Songs of Scotland: and their influence on Scotsmen.” The hall might have been crowded to the utmost, and yet the patronage bestowed upon Mr Noble’s lecture would not have been too much. The lecture was, in every sense of the word, refreshing. Mr Noble disclaimed all literary pretensions, and said that his discourse on the songs would be simply a narration of the impressions they made on the ordinary Scotsman; but, nevertheless, literary ability, and the power of vivid description were plainly stamped throughout his whole lecture, and if the ordinary Scotsman of to-day was half so enthusiastic about the songs of his native land as Mr Noble is, the country would be a better and a happier one. It did one good to listen to his whole-hearted and loving descriptions of the many songs dealt with, and to his irresistible humour. And if any of those present were not converted to a deeper love of Scotia's lays, their poetic and musical faculties, as well as their patriotism, must be thoroughly deadened. Mr. Noble illustrated his lecture with "Duncan Gray,” which was so successfully rendered by him that he had to give an encore. Illustrative songs were also sung splendidly by Miss Kate Brady and Mr Matthew M'Lellan, and also by the tiny daughter of the lecturer who was loudly applauded for a very clever rendering of "I'm owre young to marry yet." Mr William C. M'Geachin enhanced the effect of the musical programme by his tasteful playing of the pianoforte accompaniments, and the Rev. D. D. Rees, who presided over the function, made a capable chairman. The lecture was brought to a close with the singing by the audience of that most popular of all Scottish songs, “Auld Lang Syne.”