First Bank of Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Max
Settling In
Settling In

First Bank of Saltcoats

Post by Max »

Hoping some of the more knowledgeable members of this forum can help me out here.

I came across mention of the first bank in Saltcoats being located on Raise Street in the early to mid 1800s. The manager was a William Bowes Orr of the Ayrshire Banking Company, which was a subsidiary of the Royal Bank of Scotland.

The Orr name comes up as a family from Ayrshire that emigrated to Australia in 1852 on the ship “Gloucester”. I wonder if it was the same bank manager from Saltcoats.

The closure of the bank seems to be tied into the installation of the railway line and station at the Drakemyre that effectively segregated the “high-landers” from the lower section of the growing town at that time. Perhaps this was the main reason for the bank’s relocation.

Does anyone know any more information on the bank’s actual location on Raise Street?
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: First Bank of Saltcoats

Post by wellparkno9 »

I remember the bank building being at 2 Raise St.it was used for accommodation when I was a boy.I delivered milk to it.It was demolished about 1971????
Max
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Max »

So that would have been the building at the gable end of where the Coopers food bar is now, that would make sense. There was a photo on the Three Towns Explored FB page recently that showed this building still standing. Here’s a link to a copy of that one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15LRiX ... p=drivesdk
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

You can see the exact location here:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74951132
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Max
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Max »

Awesome, I typically only look at the six inch to one mile OS maps, I never thought to use the 25 inch to one mile maps for more detail, which makes perfect sense.

One to remember for future map looking.