buildings built and demolished in my lifetime

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

buildings built and demolished in my lifetime

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

just been thinking something our parents probably wouldn't be able to say, I have seen the jacks road school built and demolished ,canal court as well, also the chapel in corrie cresent,down in stevenston at moorpark the sheltered housing complex as well is due for demolision, all in my lifetime sad when you think about it you would think when something was built it would last at least a hundred years,can anyone think is there any more that I have maybe missed.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: buildings built and demolished in my lifetime

Post by Meg »

Stanley school in Ardrossan James -
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Caley court in Stevenson is the one that springs to mind to me. I remember playing on the site when it was getting built, going home day after day with pockets full of nails :smt102 :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The High Tide pub in Ardrossan, it was there for a wee while and now is gone - I was never in it. But I was in the original building that stood there on that spot: See here
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

As far as I'm aware the sheltered housing complex 'Caley Court' at the start of Moorpark rd West in Stevenston has been gone for a few months, but N.A.C. have now been given the green light to build a new replacement complex on the exact same site.

Other buildings in Stevenston that didn't last that long are - One side of the covered shopping arcade in New street (built in 73/74 but now just part of the car park) Also, there was a supermarket built very close to there at the same time. Originally the 'Pick 'n Save' - it's now the site of the Threetown's Care Home.
And the sheltered housing complex that was situated in Afton rd. has gone as well, replaced by the new one that was built next to Glencairn Primary school in New street.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Stevenston had the pub at the top of Townhead St.; The Lonsdale ???
A whole row of houses in Lundholm Rd. has gone, as have several streets of prefabs at Greenhead Ave. Admittedly, these prefabs were not intended to be permanent. I seem to recall a petrol station in Caledonia Rd. that has also gone.
JD.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

John Donnelly wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:32 pm Stevenston had the pub at the top of Townhead St.; The Lonsdale ???
A whole row of houses in Lundholm Rd. has gone, as have several streets of prefabs at Greenhead Ave. Admittedly, these prefabs were not intended to be permanent. I seem to recall a petrol station in Caledonia Rd. that has also gone.
JD.
JD, it was the Grangeknowe before it was the Lonsdale.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

I'm assuming that the Ardeer Tavern (The Store) and the Grangeknowe Inn were fairly new builds when they opened for business. I had a drink or two in both but not until the late 70's early 80's.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9265&p=94681&hilit= ... owe#p94681
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Stanley School and the High Tide Hotel in Ardrossan were mentioned. Here are photos of them before and after demolition.

Construction of Stanley School started in September 1959 on the site of what was previously Stanley Farm. It opened to pupils in August 1963 and closed on 27 June 2007. It was replaced by a new school in Dalry Road that opened to staff on 14 August and to pupils on 16 August 2007.

The High Tide Hotel was opened by Provost Joe McManus in April 1971 and demolished on 8 June 2004 in about an hour. Dairymead Place was built on the site with construction work starting on 8 August 2005.

George
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

A great historical record George.
Do you happen to have a photo of Stanley farm I used to take a short cut through there going to school.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

The High Tide was an unattractive looking building, so a lot of folk probably weren't that sad to see it disappear.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

meekan wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:26 pm A great historical record George.
Do you happen to have a photo of Stanley farm I used to take a short cut through there going to school.
I don't, Meekan, but if I come across one, I'll be happy to share it.

George