Letters to the editor

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Letters to the editor

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald
Letter to Editor
December 30, 1854

NEW BURYING GROUND.

Sir, ---- Being one of those who were invited to attend the funeral of Mr Peter Mack on the 15th Inst., I was more that surprised that instead of being taken to the New Cemetery laid down on the new building of the town, the body was taken nearly a mile farther away, and buried in the corner of a field in which are situated the Town Water Works, a place certainly not very appropriate in which to bury. We are not in the secret of the change, nor know the parties who made it, but one thing we are certain, the public will never consent to the place now fixed upon, and we hear that some of the subscribers intend to withdraw their support, seeing the original place has been departed from, leaving out other reasons.

Why did those who fled on the New Cemetery, and got it laid down on the new building plan, consent to this abandonment and change of place for why was application not made to the noble proprietor of the soil, the Earl of Eglinton, to revive the old burial ground on the Castle Hill, rather than into the Water Works' field, a place so far from the town, and in other respects so decidedly bad for in and around the old burial place there are sufficient ground of the very driest description for a Cemetery. It is as choice a spot in which one could wish to be deposited, and a place to which affectionate in mourners could go for a few moments from their homes, without inconvenience and shed a tear, or perhaps strew a flower, over the graves of those they once loved.

We believe the inhabitants have all along had a wish for this place. Even the chief magistrate, Provost Barr, has shown his predilection for it. It is said that the Earl was averse to granting the ground on the hill, but we question now if application was made, his lordship would be of the same opinion. There were also a few individuals in the town who did all they could to foster the idea that burial places should not be in or near towns. This ridiculous motion can only apply to places in the midst of cities were coffins above coffins are piled to within inches of the surface, but it can never apply to the high dry ground on the hill, even though the population of Ardrossan was fifty times what it is at present. In fact the old burial ground from its situation, could be made of the most choice Cemeteries to be met with anywhere, instead of lying as it is at present almost enclosed, and when cattle of the cloven hoof are allowed to run among the decaying tombs, and more simple inhabitants of a period long passed away.

We trust that these remarks may draw the attention of those who have the power to take the necessary steps.

AN ARDROSSONIAN.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Letters to the editor

Post by Hughie »

From above:
I was more that surprised that instead of being taken to the New Cemetery laid down on the new building of the town, the body was taken nearly a mile farther away, and buried in the corner of a field in which are situated the Town Water Works,
In this day and age I find the above confusing. Though there was in my time a water filter bed diagonally across the road from what we know as the Ardrossan Academy. I wonder if the poster was actually talking about one and the same place. I say this because as far as I'm aware there have only ever been two public burial places in Ardrossan: Castle Hill and the Sorbie Road cemetery.
Water filter bed.jpg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I wonder if the burial place was the one off Stanley Road which would have been near the old filter house that was around about Whitlees farm
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

No Angus, that was a private burial ground for the Weir family. Here's what jean Boyce wrote some years ago:
This burial-place was erected by Hugh Weir of Kirkhall.-
Dorothia Hunter, his wife, died Sept.26th, 1787. aged 67 years.-Hugh Weir
died Jany.9th1800, aged 72 years.-Helen Ferry,wife of Robert Weir, died
April 20th 1814, aged 56 years.- Robert Weir died 31st July,1838, in the
81st year of his age."- Hugh Weir, died 26th April, 1898, aged 83 years.
I've also got the inscription of Edgar Alan Poe's family if anyone is
interested.
Cheers Jean Boyce Saltcoats.
See here
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hughie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 am From above:
I was more that surprised that instead of being taken to the New Cemetery laid down on the new building of the town, the body was taken nearly a mile farther away, and buried in the corner of a field in which are situated the Town Water Works,
In this day and age I find the above confusing. Though there was in my time a water filter bed diagonally across the road from what we know as the Ardrossan Academy. I wonder if the poster was actually talking about one and the same place. I say this because as far as I'm aware there have only ever been two public burial places in Ardrossan: Castle Hill and the Sorbie Road cemetery.

Water filter bed.jpg
Hughie, on the1855 map the water works were where the reservoir is on your map. The cemetery was only the top square (shown with the circle) and there had been a total of 2 burials up till then (according to the Name Book). I think the 'old' burial ground, the churchyard of the Ardrossan Parish Church (Heritage Centre Saltcoats), may still have been in use at that time.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

hahaya2004 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:52 am Hughie, on the1855 map the water works were where the reservoir is on your map. The cemetery was only the top square (shown with the circle) and there had been a total of 2 burials up till then (according to the Name Book). I think the 'old' burial ground, the churchyard of the Ardrossan Parish Church (Heritage Centre Saltcoats), may still have been in use at that time.
Brilliant, Irene. There was I thinking in terms of the township of Ardrossan when I should have been thinking about the parish of Ardrossan which included the burial ground at Saltcoats. :hi: