A Local Clairvoyant

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

A Local Clairvoyant

Post by Hughie »

Came across this ad in the Irvine Herald 1951. I imagine the same would be in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald. The location would be where I remember my Morrison relatives lived opposite the Coast home around that time. Anyone remember this?

Irvine Herald 7 December 1951.jpg
A related topic : Let's talk Spookies
macaulay
Settling In
Settling In

Re: A Local Clairvoyant

Post by macaulay »

I remember Madame Casson who stayed in Nineyard Street. I and two other friends went to her to get our palms read. I can't remember all she told us but two things stand out in my memory. She told one of my friends that she would lose a very valuable piece o jewellery, and sure enough about a month later she lost a valuable dress ring. She pointed to all my fingers and said they were very clever little fellows who would earn money in the future. I was studying for my L.G.S.M. diploma in Pianoforte at the time with Mr. Rigby who lived in Caledonia Road in Saltcoats and sure enough I ultimately did become a music teacher. We were absolutely astounded.
Does anyone remember Mr. Rigby?

Anna
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

Went with girls from work and several things she mentioned were very accurate. She had a gentleman friend who organised
the appointments. It was a winter night and he was burning shoes in the fireplace for heating.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
irejim9
Settling In
Settling In

Post by irejim9 »

i remember going into the tiny cramped house full of furniture and very dark inside tiny windows with a group of girls from BMK. I remember she said I would marry a man called Jimmy and would travel overseas,but I thought at the time this was predictable as there was so many boys called JImmy and so many went overseas. I can't remember much else.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Irene, you mentioning BMK - carpet makers in Kilmarnock. So perhaps it was in Kilmarnock you saw Madame Casson. Her ads appear in the Irvine Herald doing business at the Saltcoats address till 1956. At that time her ads say she'd been in Saltcoats eight years. Then her ads appear again in the same paper in 1967 advertising palm readings at 32 Herriot Road. Kilmarnock.

:think: Looking back at her advert I'm wondering what accent she had.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

macaulay I took piano lessons from Mr Rigby for 4 years and hated every minute of it though I liked him.
looking back I wish I had stuck with it as I would love to be able to play now.
irejim9
Settling In
Settling In

Post by irejim9 »

hi. it was definitely Nineyard St. So many girls from the area travelled to BMK, Kilmarnock. Lina Scroggie, Joan Parker, Elizabeth McGoggan and many others. we played cards on the bus on the way home.