Stevenston - Sword Swallower

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Stevenston - Sword Swallower

Post by Hughie »

Just watched an episode of UK's got talent where there was a sword swallower performing. It threw me back many years to our early days in Australia when I heard about a Stevenston man who was into sword swallowing - I never did meet him. But I do recall him being mentioned a few times. The family lived in Laverton in Melbourne's western suburbs. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'd imagine the family migrated to Australia in the 1960s/70s.

At that time we often visited John Barr (my golf partner) and wife Jean Templeton from Stevenston in Laverton (they returned home) but can't recall meeting the sword swallower.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston - Sword Swallower

Post by chriso »

Hughie I recall hearing about a chap from round about the stevenston area who used to swallow garden shears among other things. His second name was Black.Harry black rings a faint bell, but this was a long time ago.
Idiot - seeks village.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

That was right, Chris. Black was the name. They lived close to John and Jean Barr and their kids in Laverton back then in late sixties. Garden shears? I'd like to see that. :roll:
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Perhaps they were small shears. //funny
Idiot - seeks village.