Letter to the Editor - Saltcoats Harbour

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Letter to the Editor - Saltcoats Harbour

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald
Jan 21 1882
Saltcoats Harbour

Sir, I wish to call the attention of your numerous readers to the state of the above harbour. This harbour is said to belong to A. W.R. Çunninghame, Esq of Auchenharvie. Through wilful neglect it has, for a long period past, been slowly going to the bad, and the terrible storms of this winter have completed its ruin. I am told Mr Cunninghame derives a revenue from it of nearly £150 per annum.

He has, ever since he became its proprietor, persistently refused to do anything to keep it in repair. and the consequence has been the complete wreck of the old and celebrated harbour, where the best known "skippers" on the Clyde received their first lessons in seamanship. List of Saltcoats skippers and their ships

It has long been an attraction for summer visitors, and the good people of Saltcoats fully recognised its retired and picturesque situation, where business men, tired and jaded, fled for peace and seclusion. From a bathing point of view, it has nothing to equal it in the West of Scotland. It has been remarked by numbers of visitors who frequent the town, "If it was not for the harbour we would seldom be in Saltcoats."

These considerations, though in themselves worthy of notice, fall into insignificance compared with the concerns of the fishermen, who have large interests at stake. I have received from an undoubted authority the following information, which shows the fishing to be the most important branch of industry in the good town of Saltcoats and one on which numbers rely alone for support. There are upwards of £3000 sunk in fishers' property, and more than 100 men dependent on it alone for livelihood.

Besides, there are number of fish hawkers who look to it alone for the necessaries of life. It nothing is done to have the harbour repaired, the consequences to the old town will prove disastrous. I, therefore, through the medium of your paper, call on all who have the interest of the town at heart to agitate against Mr Cunningham, and leave no stone unturned until he is brought to fulfil his duty, as the proprietor, by having the harbour properly repaired. You, Slr, by inserting this in your first issue will confer public benefit, and participate in the reward.

Yours,
A lover of Saltcoats.